Modded Cambridge Audio 550C player. Rating??

Need some info from members who bought and still have a Cambridge 550C player MODDED BY MAPLESHADE AUDIO

Howlong does it take to burn in and reach peak performance?(supposedly outperforming CDP that are 3K and 4K in price.

The Mapleshade website did suggest that it might need one or two tweeks to reach that level( e.g. MSA's isolation platform) (Later, the seller strongly advised plugging the PC directly into the wall, not a power line conditioner)

I bought one of these units from a third party to upgrade from a Rega Apollo. Its bigger and better brother,the Rega Saturn was too much money as were several other players, even used. So, I opted for this modded CDP, so far I am somewhat disappointed in its performance, though it does have some merits over the Rega; for example, quicker transient response, and dead silence between the musical notes and without congestion in the highs Actually,the highs are much cleaner and more transparent than the Apollo.

However there seems to be LESS DETAIL ACROSS MOST OF THE midrange band. Therefore, Need some advice about getting this CDP prima donna to its A game level, before I blow a gasket. Jim
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by wayneo1257

I own several Mapleshade products including the modded Cambridge Audio 640c. As with all audio components, it’s open to interpretation of what sounds good (or great)...in the ear of the beholder. I personally believe that my modded CD player sounds better than much more expensive CD players I’ve owned. That being said, this mod may not be for everyone. To my ears, it sounds closer to my Pro-ject RPM-5 turntable than it does to a CD player. It has lost the harshness that seems to haunt many (but not all) digital sources. I’m still burning the CD player in but, even after only a few hours of play, it has already exceeded my expectations. Many of Mapleshade’s products will cause an immediate improvement in your stereo and others have a more cumulative effect. In short, I would recommend this modification...but, that’s me.