Mod my Rega P5 OR...time to move on ??

I`ve been enjoying a nice Rega P5 with Groovetracer upgrades (minus platter) but am thinking about a change now. 
Question: Should I add additional upgrades to this table like a better arm and a better platter or would I be further ahead just getting a different table ? 
I`m pretty set on my phono stage (Herron VTPH-1MC) and cartridge (ZYX AIRY 3) the room has been treated and the table is on a Rega rack. 

Thanks
Steve

scm
tablejockey: "IMO, you're  standing at the crossroads of the audio abyss"...Yep, been on this path for sometime now, I just haven`t changed components at a pace some do. Just looking to move up like most of us.

Used for sure....What did you go to from your P5 ?

I chose VPI, and have no regret. I equate the Classic as the Rega P5 within the line,regarding value. Currently, it may be the Prime. I see them listed at great prices, and it's a step up from the Classic. Mine is 5 years old and going strong.
The only mistake I made was purchasing new.

With that in mind, a used Classic can be found cheap, or better yet an Aries?

If I were starting fresh right now, I would go Prime. Be prepared for a pleasant surprise whatever you decide. That will be a game changer, like going with a tubed phono.. The 3D arm on the Prime, along with your Herron should put that ZYX in its best light.

Used in the 3-5K(especially the upper end) will remind you what the fuss is all about. 

It really depends on which way you want to go? Heavy Mass loaded tables or stick with a rigid light weight design like a Rega RP8. If you like the Rega sound and are looking to improve upon that in terms of detail, refinement, clarity, finesse, power and a table you can upgrade and tweak to your hearts content, look at a J.A. Michell Gyro SE. Its not rigid or mass loaded  so its not super heavy or light (tension spring suspension).  This will be the last table you buy, I promise. 

Matt M
Never had a VPI but I`ll look into them a little closer.
I actually had a Michell Gyrodec Bronze. I thought it sounded fine, it had an RB300 arm on it.
I found the rotating gold weights distracting after a while...I know that might sound trivial but it started to bug me to the point that I had to sell it.

I purchased a Rega Planar II 35 years ago and applied the following upgrades over that many years ...
- sub platter/bearing ball - all metal/ceramic
- platter - acrylic
- motor - latest version from Rega
- counter weight - Michell Techno-weight
- arm - installed a one piece harness, but eventually installed an Audiomods arm
- plinth - high mass plinth (as opposed to Rega’s low mass plinth design
- various isolation tweaks

If you have not made too many upgrades to date then I believe upgrading the turntable would be more prudent.

The Audiomods arm was perhaps the most effective, but most expensive upgrade, but I believe that its performance would not be as good if not for the plinth/platter/sub-platter upgrades also. They are so dependent on each other that failing to implement any one of them would impact the overall performance.

I am a huge fan of the Audiomods arm and when coupled with the right cartridge, in my case a Soundsmith modified Denon DL 103, it provides exceptional performance.

In it’s day (i.e. 35 years ago), the Rega line was a huge step forward in TT design, but the rest of the industry has found various new design approaches, technologies and materials that level (or surpass) what Rega has to offer in the same snack bracket

The cost of all the upgrades exceeds some very nice TT’s on the market today.

With each upgrade I acquired more knowledge about Rega's TT design (and flaws) and it drove me to pursue more effective isolation tweaks, so that was a benefit of the upgrade path..

One plus - Rega TT’s probably has the larget selection of after market upgrades available, so the choice is vast

On the negative side, you will probably not maintain your Rega’s resale value

Can your Rega be bettered? - of course, by either upgrading or replacement. It’s just a matter of how much time/cash you are willing to invest in. The determination of which upgrade is best also requires considerable anaylsis.

If I had to replace my turntable today i would probably opt for something from the VPI lineup.

Just another opinion :-)

Regards - Steve