Mod my B C DAC 3, or just get another DAC?

Hi folks

As I suffer from the disease of ‘more’ and I’d like very much to gain another level of performance in terms of honesty in the tones, and greater immediacy with imaging and sound stage representation, I’m looking for input here so I can decide which is better for me right now:

1. Modding my current stock BC DAC3
2. Sell it and buy another brand & model entirely?

I’m guessing the modding route one of greater value as it could likely be less expensive a way to go for me to gain what I seek.

My hesitancy to have it modded, revolves around the possibility of me winding up with a DAC that is transformed into something so critically revealing and resolute so as to be without the involvement which comes from the truth & naturalness of real music, thereby reducing the music I can play through it.

I listen to everything but the baser urban genres. Rap & most Hip Hop usually aren’t my cup of tea. All else? Yep. Pretty much and now I’m starting to get into classical as well. Mainly though it is jazz, big band jazz, vocalists, Bluegrass, R&B, Folk, Country, World, Rock, Blues, etc, etc.

Anyone who has had a DAC3 modded and would take the time to provide some feedback as to the results would be immensely appreciated.

Of course, any other thoughts on the topic in general are welcome too, and perhaps in terms of which mod master tends to voice their mods in SUCH & SUCH A WAY… OR THE LIKE.

I feel naturalness & honesty in tone, timber, dynamic range, as well as ambient retrieval are of significant consequence to capture the soul of the musical recreation and enhance the illusion of they are here, or you are there, which I get a fair degree of now.

Naturally, a higher level of resolution is amenable to that end, yet it should not be the spotlit attribute of a presentation. I listen for hours on end now and would wish that frame not be truncated by listening fatigue.

I’ve seen only the notes from Underwood HiFi on their level one and two mods, and the recent claims of the new VBS technology available thru Bel Canto for some of their e One level components.

As all of my system is and will continue to be digitally sourced a DAC is the key item for me. I must add too I do like what the DAC3 does for my stereo and my HT rig presently.

Thanks a lot for the input and consideration on this inquiry.
blindjim

Showing 1 response by cruz123

I would suggest trying a different DAC rather than modding, since it does not seem like you like the "house sound" of the DAC 3 to begin with. I've modded several pieces of digital gear, but I liked the pieces to began with and only sought to improve on what they already did well. Trying to change the basic character of a DAC through modding is a riskier proposition, IMHO. Also, as far as value, you will get little return, monetarily, from modding. So, I would sell the DAC 3, and add the money you have allotted for modding, and upgrade to something new.