Mo' money. Mo' problems.

I'm sure this has been discussed in a few posts over the years, but seeing as how we didn't burn up in the Mayan apocalypse, I thought I'd float something that has been on my mind as we close out 2012.

I think Notorious B.I.G. said it best:

The more money we come across, the more problems we see.

That is, in audio, as I have gradually spent more and more on high-end gear, the more critical and discerning I have become. The more I expect out of this stuff. I've spent more this year on gear (and vinyl) than ever before, so is it just a coincidence that I've had more issues than ever before? Be it tube matching, power issues, faulty amps (had two in a row, then jettisoned the brand), cable matching, fuses, tracking alignment, concern over my home's electrical, wondering about a two rinse wash vs. three rinse process, footers, computer optimization, high res file types, where is that hum coming from?, was that a pop or did my wife turn on the washer?... the endless quest for perfection... you know what I mean? (I hope.) Seems like each new upgrade opens a door for another or some other nit picky thing...

When everything is working perfectly, of course, it's a drug-free high. Total bliss. Lightyears beyond where I was or what I ever would have imagined as a kid.

But there's always going to be 'something,' isn't there? Are these bumps along the way just a part of the hobby - or are the bumps the hobby? How can I make 2013 the year I stop the BS and just enjoy the music?
bonhamcopeland
Forgot, what is the matter with you people, making money is the problem. Great article in the wall street journal today at

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323320404578213691784333734.html?KEYWORDS=gideon+schwartz

As Gideon told a skeptical customer; "The more you spend, the closer you get to musical truth". Enough said!

Love this hobby.
"The more you spend, the closer you get to musical truth"

You have to look at the economics of what goes into the development and production of the product. More expensive does not necessarily mean better. Some companies (like the one in the articleand many of the products sold no doubt) have very high overhead, much of which has nothing to do with sound quality. I believe, most european imports these days carry a premium due to currency exchange rates for example.

Best values come from companies that invest heavily in R&D and quality control while keeping overhead as low as possible in general.

Nothing unique to high end audio here, though high end audio often presents some extreme cases in terms of costs and prices it seems.
Thanks all for the responses and advice. Esp. Zd542 and Whart.

I just re-read my post, and I think the best way I can "..make 2013 the year I stop the BS and just enjoy the music," is to: stop the BS and enjoy the music.

I'm not suffering from upgrade-itess or HiFiOCD or tweakerism as much as I've legitimately had gear failures that have frustrated the hell out of me. Now I'm listening for problems instead of the music. I just need to get my stuff working correctly and remind myself how lucky I am to be able to afford what I have, and how lucky I am to be living only blocks away from a dealer who knows me personally and has been extremely pro-active in taking care of these issues and compensating me for my troubles. Try getting that from a big box store.

Also, next time I buy a new car I'm going to the best source on the internet for insight: Audiogon.
Well said, Mapman. There are guys right here on the Gon who will build you an amp to rival anything on the planet.

Surprised at the NSX comment.
I like the "7 tips" by zd542.
My problem is I like to buy stuff. I keep the capitalism just rolling along in this country.
I also like to OP's moniker. Although "Palmerpert" would be my choice. :'}
-JD