MMF7 + MF A300 + ML Aeon = Goosebumps?

OK. Here is the deal. I am getting back into audiophilia after a prolonged absence. My first foray was a little "mini bedroom reference" system: Cambridge D500SE/A300, RA Labs Mini Reference (an ST rave). Then I took an ill-considered detour into HT - Sony DVP-NS700P, Parasound RSX-972, PSB Image 7PT/8C/1B. Don't get me wrong, the gear sounds good, but ... no goosebumps.

Or at least, not that often. I have very eclectic tastes (Ben Harper to Elvis Costello to Bill Frisell), but I think a unifying theme would be well constructed songs - some craft in the lyrics and music. Plus I have a bunch of vinyl that I don't have a way to play.

My criteria for a system are that it has to be made of unfussy, well made pieces (I am an engineer); it has to look simple and elegant (I am also an architect); and it has to sound great (I am also a musician, sort of, I am a drummer).

I have a little dough and space for a dedicated music room (11 x 18 x 8), so I am thinking for about $5K I can not go wrong with: the new Music Hall MMF-7 turntable, Musical Fidelity A300 integrated, and Martin Logan Aeon speakers (Demo/NIB/Lite Use/etc). I heard the Aerius speakers two or three years ago and was knocked out (mucho goosebumps) and I understand the Aeons are easier to drive. Have heard an MMF5. Don't have any experience with the amp.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this combo and particularly any direct experience. (Also, in this price range I have steered away from tubes, but maybe I should not. Something like the small C-J or VTL integrated with maybe a mini-monitor would work, yes?) I want PRESENCE. I want to believe I am there. (I can sacrifice very low bass and very high SPL.)

Sorry to be so verbose, but the posting guidelines suggested more info was better. Thanks for taking the time.
scotthmartin
Hi Scott,

Welcome back to the madness. I recently picked up a MF A3cr power amp to go with a MMF-5 turntable, c-j pv10a tube preamp and Spica TC-60 speakers. Unfortunately, I find getting to bed at a decent hour is becoming more and more difficult. I also sought out components that make me feel as if the singer is in the room over slam etc. I think the MF integrated would be a great start. I also love the c-j sound and think their integrated would be very good, but may not drive the M-L speakers as well. Good luck in your search.
Sounds like a great combo. I take it the A300 has a phono amp included?
Cheers
Tom
If you get the chance audition tube gear with the Martin Logans. I love my ReQuests driven by CJ premier 11a. I give up some dynamics but not goosebumps. As a musician you would do yourself a favor to listen critically to a tube versus solid state with the Logans. Happy Listening
I've got to agree-- my A300 is so far the most bang for the buck audio product I have bought yet. John K.
i have the mmf-7 and the Musical Fidelity and my speakers are Signums from Sonus Faber.
The only thing that i`ll tell you is that i`ve tried to upgrade my Amplifier for the last six months, i check Audiogon everyday, i go to the forums and then i listen to wahtever amplifier with good recomendations and so far i haven`t found a better sound-deal that my a-300. i`ve listened to carys, cjs, krells, vtls, rogues and i think they are all very, very good, then i come home and i forget the whole upgrade thing because i realize once again how good this combination is. Seriously, i`ve got the money and the will to get "better" stuff, but i can`t go against my ears and hart. mmf-7, rel stratta-3, Musical Fidelity a-300, sony xa777es.
Scott, i wouldn't knock MF, or other products that you mentioned (Also i own ESL speakers), but Legend Starlet integrated with their Legend monitors would be your best bet if you are looking for "goosebump" factor, especially in such a small room! Regards!