MM or MC cartridge for Mm input on Preamp

I have a MM input available on my Manley Steelhead and wonder that a MM or high out MC cartridge should fit in this input. 
Any recommendation or opinion is appreciated. 
Thanks in Advance. 

houstonreef

Thank you all for the info. @lewm have LOMC plugged in MM input, we can test trial/error on the resistance set up variable up to 47k or we have to set it at 47k.

Houston, Just look at the selector switch.  In the MM mode you can select any of many possible load resistances, from 47K on down.  Since my own unit is not in front of me, I cannot recall the lower limit available.  For fun, you might start at 47K and go down from there in increments to find what for you would be a sweet spot.  There is no "wrong" choice, except as a rule of thumb you'd like to stay at or above a load R value that is about 10X the internal R of your particular LOMC.

@lewm Yep, gotcha on the gain. My point, which I didn't explain very well, is that despite both inputs having sufficient gain to run a 0.1mv, the MM input with a 0.1mv sounds a bit noisier than the MC. Given that the MM input generally sounds better, it's worth seeking out a cartridge with sufficient output, perhaps .25 or greater, to take advantage of the MM input on the Steelhead.

Actually, using the MM on the Steelhead is pretty new to me so I'm still discovering the best way to set things up. I'd always run into the MC with the various cartridges I've owned, from 0.1 through 0.4mv. 

Thank you all for the inputs, i will try and find out. I am going to set up another tonearm.

What cartridge are you using that only puts out .01 mV? There are not too many where the output is that low. Also a very important factor is how are you using the Steelhead? If you use it add as a phono stage with an outboard line stage, then you add the gain afforded by the linestage to your total gain. The steelhead can also be used as a full function Preamplifier, but when you use it that way its own internal linestage does not add gain to the signal. So if you are using the 65 DB setting for a very low output cartridge, that is all you are going to get , and the output voltage from the linestage section has to be sufficient to drive your amplifier. 65 DB of gain would be very marginal indeed for a .01 mV cartridge. It would be in a comfortable range for a 0.25 to 0.3 mV cartridge, in most cases. The gain requirement is fairly dependent on the input and output impedances of the devices you are linking together, the sensitivity of the amplifier for full output, and finally the sensitivity of the speakers themselves. So each of us might have a different impression of how much gain is needed for a particular cartridge, because of differences in the downstream equipment, Particularly if you are using an outboard linestage that may add 10 DB to as much as 20 DB additional gain to the signal coming from the steelhead.