Mission 753 Floorstanders?

I have a pair of Mission 753 Floorstanders sitting in my basement. I bought them 20 years ago but have not used them in 10 years. I see no threads or interest here in Mission speakers. Does anyone have info or opinions on how Mission is viewed in the audio world?

I assume that they are of a quality lower than what the typical Audiogon poster would ever use. Thanks.
sruffle

Showing 1 response by barak

I might buy them at the right price. Never heard them but always wanted to. I own three pairs of Missions: the 70's (about $100 new 30 yrs ago) the 752s (about $800 20 yrs ago) and finally got another pair of 770s (Mark I, I bought the Mark II for $500 used 30 yrs ago that I had to trade b/c a woofer was bad, and a month ago I found a good condition Mark I for $500 and they are in perfect working condition and I have been drinking them in ever since they arrived). As another post kind of put it, the 770s are the closest thing you can get to $5K speakers for $1K. The 752s are attractive and sound good on chamber music and piano and (to a lesser extent on) voice, but they are lightweights in the lower ranges. The 770s murder them to death on all counts. Even the little 70s are better with a good subwoofer than the 752s were. I have read that the 753s have the grip and authority that the 752s lack. And the 753s tweeters are less techie than the 752s, and perhaps sound better. My only problem is, could the 753s be in any way better than my 770s? Or even my little 70s with a subwoofer (BK)? I doubt it.