Micro Seiki RX-1500,3000,5000,8000 good or bad turntable?

Any opinions on these heavy-weight, expensive, exotic, rare Micro Seiki turntables? Are they really that good or they suck!!!!!!!! Any Micro Seiki users out there? Please share your opinion or thought or even experiences regarding these exotic turntables.....
edle

Showing 1 response by radicalsteve

Well I have an RX-5000 and currently run it with a Verus rim drive, the RY-550) was used with a silk thread and the Verus adds more punch, the silk is smoother and and a bit more subdued. For comparison I have (or recently had) Clearaudio, Linn, Lenco, SP-10, Victor TT-101, Sony PS-X70, Micro BL-51, Oracle Delphi V SE.

I would characterize the Micros as being reliable, versatile, extremely well (over) engineered and no doubt frightfully expensive to make in today's money. The heavy platter and sealed bearing combine for effortless and quiet operation. My platter is made of gunmetal 16Kg, the base is solid Zinc 26Kg. Self adjusting metal feet. I dampen the plater with an audiolife gunmetal mat 6Kg; all for a total mass of 106 lbs! Backgrounds are black, groove noise is minimal, dynamic contrasts are big, speed is constant.

If you can ever find one, it will be a table for life, and even at several thousand dollars, hard to beat at any price I suspect. I do compare with my Oracle, which of course is a completely different beast in design terms, and both are extremely musical. The Micro can accept any type of arm and there are a range of metal armboards for different arm sizes and types. My Triplanar sounded best on the Micro and my ZYX UNIverse sometimes a bit brash on the Micro as it is very dynamic. I could go on for a long time, but the RX series is highly recommended. I have never felt the need to get a Micro DD and would stick with the Technics, Sony, Victor DD decks et al.

I would be happy to provide further insights if required

Steve