Micro Seiki, or TW AC-1

I'm trying to decide between Micro Seiki RX 5000 and TW AC-1.
They are approx. the same price used (about $10K)
Both are belt drive.
Unfortunately, I don't have a first hand experience with either of the tables.
You can see my current set-up in my system page.
The reason, I want to make a change from DD TT to belt drive is just to try a different approach.
Also, I have a feeling, that the bass would be one of the areas, where MS and TW might have an edge over my current DD Technics SP-10 MkII
My endeavor into analog is fairly new, so I'm not sure what my final choice in analog would be, unless I try it in my own system.
What I'm really interested in is the following:
Sonic differences b/w MS, TW and Technics SP-10 MkII
Reliability
Service availability.
maril555

Showing 14 responses by maril555

Peterayer,
I know exactly what you mean, but at the same time I want to try a totally different approach- High Mass BD, vs. DD.
Vibraplane, or Minus K is the next step though.
Whart,
Thank you for your response. Our systems are indeed very similar.
It's so happens, that I know owners/ designer of your Veloce linestage. They are both members of our Philadelphia Area Audio Group.
One day I will try to arrange an audition of Veloce in my own system. I heard it many times at various shows, but in the context of unfamiliar system.
Anyhow, back to our sheep, I mean turntables.
I completely agree with you about the "heavyweight" turntables being a different animal, compared to my DD Technics, and that's the main reason, I want to try one in my own system.
J.C. Verdier Platine seems like another interesting choice, as well, as Transrotor tables with magnetic drive, and Kuzma.
I'm a little leary about heavily investing in a 25 y/o Micro Seiki, though they have a great reliability record, but with the company being defunct, one is left to a mercy of random suppliers, or DIY in case of malfunction.
Syntax,
Could you make any comments on the reliability of the Micro Seiki RX-5000. What are the most common problems, that MS owners encounter, if any?
And what to pay attention to, when buying one?
Also, do you have any input on Transrotor TTs, especially the models with magnetic drive. Since you are in Germany, I would imagine you are more familiar with their products.
I only heard them at the shows, so no opinion here.
Thanks
Dover,
What is "the ball insert option"? on Platine Verdier, you've mentioned? Never heard of it.
Thanks
Corby,
Your input is just priceless to me, since you have both tables in the same system.
One question, though- did you hear "the leading edge" problem without the Living Voice Mystic mat on TW?
Pani and Opus88,
Thank you guys for taking your time elaborating on your previous statements.
It all makes sense to me, other than the fact, that you disagree on some positions, but hey, we all hear differently.
Other interesting piece of information about Verdier Platine, that I gleaned in AudioAsylum- someone reported, that "it's oil bearing leaks small amount of oil, it is designed that way"??? really? is it true?
I wonder, if using a third party motor control unit (Walker?) with TW AC-1 would improve speed stability?
Philb7777,
You are right about the medical field and the large randomized, placebo- controlled trials (I'm a physician BTW), but unfortunately one cannot operate with a large enough sample here, to make any intelligent conclusions.
As you can see, the opinions in this very thread are diametrically opposite. I really was hoping for more consensus on these two TTs. Go figure
In_shore,
Could you please elaborate on the sound you heard from TW?
And what other table/s you compared it to?
Thanks
Peterayer,
I'll definetely try to listen to TW AC-1 in more controlled environement, maybe not in my own system. The logistics are going to be too complicated. I can't say the same about MS though, I don't know anybody in my area, who has one.
Any hints? I'm in Philadelphia.
I wanted to note, that one thing, i learned from this thread is that pretty much everyone here, including proponents of MS, agree on the "ringing platter" issue with stock MS.
It also seems, that to bring MS to it's max potential would require fairly extensive modifications- new platter, support system, etc. I'm not sure about the cost and availability of those.
You are right though about trying it in my own system.
I'm exposed to a fairly wide variety of systems through our Audio group, some of them include very well regarded TTs, such as Walker Black Diamond, Basis, Monaco, etc. But I wouldn't dare to even try passing judgements on the TTs in questions in the context of the unfamiliar system.
To me, it's seems impossible to tease out a contribution of one single component under those conditions.
It also seems, that to bring MS to it's max potential would require fairly extensive modifications- new platter, support system, etc. I'm not sure about the cost and availability of those.
Raul,
Appreciate your advice. I can envision all the complexities, involved in integrating subs into the system, but fortunately, I have a professional acoustician (Synergy Audio&Video)doing an initial (and hopefully final) setup for me.
He knows my system and room very well, so I'm hoping for a great outcome.
In all fairness I have to note, that I like Albert's Technics with SME 312 S and Dynavector XV-1S.
As I've mentioned in my original post, I just want to try different design approach.
In the mean time, I'm focused on optimizing my room.
I have two JL Audio F112 subs on order, and then Steve of Synergy Audio& Video will be over to optimize the setup.
He's confident, we will be able to get rid of the residual room- related LF issues, improving bass performance at the same time.
Just an update, since I'm the one, who started this thread.
I ended up buying J.C. Verdier La Platine Granito edition (that's an older model, no longer in production).
I use it with 10" Graham Phantom Supreme tonearm and Dynavector XV-1S cartridge with Soundsmith Ruby cantilever re-tip.
I cannot compare it to the Porter Technics SP-10 MkII, that I used, since I used SME 312S tonearm with the same cart on it, but nevertheless, the differences b/w this two TT/Arm combinations are rather significant and in favor of the Verdier. Overall, it very natural and musical. I don't hear anything, that I don't like so far.
The only two upgrades, I'm likely going to make, are:
Battery PS and a support shelf for the Verdier.