MHZS Audio CD-66, Looks nice but is it any good ?

Hello,
I saw this player listed for sale and it looks like a very nice unit but i have not heard of this company. Maybe i don,t get out that much !!!. Does anyone have one ? and if so what do you like and dislike about it? Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Bob
sonicbob
Anyone have a link to info on the newest MHZS CD 88. This machine reportedly has tube rectification.
Thanks. Not sure specificly you mean by modifying power supply. The Cayin offers 2 high quality power supplies. But i do recall my tech guy mentioning something about 'buffers" if this is what you mean.
He also did not highly recommend changing the caps to mundorf as it would only mean a "flavor" difference. He suggests I search out a quad of 6922's and put my money in that first. Then maybe looking at changing caps.
No i'm not getting caught up in the tweaks and forgetting the music. I'm trying to bring as much revealing to my music as possible. My classical collection is near complete and so have a few spare $'s for tweaks.
Bob,

I purchased a brand new MHZS CD66 player from an ebay merchant in Hong Kong for $550.00. Mine is not modified. Out of the box it sounded a little bright (vocals) so I let it play continuously for approx. 150 hrs. and the brightness reduced a bit. I don't find it very tube-like. On the positive side, I do find it to be open & detailed. It is not kind to bright or poor recordings.

I did compare it to my Classe CDP-10 and felt the Classe to be more tonally correct but not by much. The Classe is 3-4 times it's price brand new.

For the price, it's a steal. It's built like a tank & has nice RCA output connectors.

Most likely I will sell it in the future on ebay or audiogon. Undecided as I speak.

Hope this helps. I will answer any more questions.

Kevin
Kevin i bought a cayin 15 tube player from an audiogon member 2 yrs ago. Has 2 6922's. he had Amperex BB's in it , one blew recently. I'm looking to replace it.
The other day i had the opamps replced and madea significant improvement. So all in all, this $550/used unit with BB's + opamp upgrade can be placed along side other units costing 2-3X's the price. As you mention the Classe not besting the MHZS, with no upgardes.
I'm sure if you rolled the 12AX7's in the MHZS(or is the 6922 tube?) + change the opamps, all can be done for under 300, you'd find it'd blow out the water the Classe. And several other highly regarded ss cdp's I see mentioned around here.
I know my Cayin 17 with new opamps + if/when I find the right 6922's will match other players in the 2-4K range
Point being there's potential and possibilities with these chinese tube players/DACs that for a minimum of $'s can be upgraded to become a real 1st class player.

I'm considering tweaking the power supply and/or caps.
My 2 cents.
I failed to mention the audiogon member who sold me the 15 mentioned he regrets selling it, just after i sent him payment. If he could only hear the player now, he'd really know his mistake. As it come awefully close to the 17's performance.
The opamps in the 15 maybe superior to the 17's replavcements as i pd $50 each in the 15 and only $25 each in the 17. But the 17 with good tubes will best the 15.
I'll make a report as things progress.