MHDT Orchid versus MHDT Pagoda..which one is best?...and why?

Interested in feedback as to which one between these two DACs are most preferred and why. They are both stock, except tubes installed are the WE 396A tube and the Orchid has TDA 1541A S2 crown chip upgrade. Although only the Pagoda passes 192kHz, that in itself is not being considered here in this thread...If any of my audio brethren have had the opportunity to experience/compare these two units side by side, please contribute. Speculation, although appreciated, is only a matter of opinion. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmooncrikit
Upgrading Orchid to 1541 Crown or Double Crown will definitely up that DAC's game. You can find some extensive commentary on the web AMR's experience with each. The Crown, and Double Crown, IME, reinforce the already good aspects of the 1541 rather than change it into something else. When I had Havana Balanced some years back I did two chip upgrades in the PCM56x and found same to be true. What changed Havana to a shade more objective presentation was installing the AD1856, which is pin-compatible. I could later say that it moved the Havana in the direction of Atlantis.

So I think the Crown/Double Crown upgrades are worthwhile, but just expect Orchid to get better in the ways it's already good.

Phil
I have not heard the Orchid. But I have owned a stock Havana and now own a heavily modified Pagoda that was purchased from Agon member C_avila. As Phil states, the Pagoda has a lot more resolution than other MHDT DACs while retaining the natural, unforced sound that R2R dacs are known for. I did compare it to a Level 1 Pavane a couple years ago, and it couldn't be unseated. I am hesitant to even bring in anything else, that's how happy I am with the Pagoda.

Oz

Ozzy. Would you be so kind as to reveal the "heavy" modifications done to your Pagoda? And did GrannyRing perform them? Thanx! Jeff
(4) Vishay TX2575 resistors
(2) Shinkoh resistors
(2) Relcap Teflon capacitors
(2) Jupiter capacitors
(2) Sonicap Platinum output coupling capacitors

I don't think grannyring did the mods, I think the original owner did.

Oz

Hi Phil,
Any idea where the MHDT Canary lies in the euphonic scale, as compared to the Orchid?