Metrum Octave and 192khz?

I'm considering buying the Metrum Octave even though it has 2 hurdles for me (1) no volume control for direct to amp (2) no stated support for 192khz. I can probably live with out the volume control. Comments online look like folks have had both success and failures using the Octave for 192Khz. So consider this an informal poll for any willing Metrum Octave owners to help me and other fellow audiogon members considering the Octave to understand how likely 192khz would be to work or if a particular input device improves the chance it will work

1) are you able to get 192khz sync reliably with your Metrum Octave (yes/no)?
2) what input device(s) are you using when you try to sync 192khz with your Metrum Octave?

any shared user experience here deeply appreciated
128x128davide256
I have owned two Metrum Octaves. I sold my first one, but I regretted it and purchased another one.
My first Octave would not work with 192khz at all.
My second Octave does 192khz flawlessly from my Colorfly C4.
I had tried using the C4 with my first Octave also, so I don't believe that the input device has anything to do with whether or not it will work.
From what I understand the dac chip in the metronome processes at 48/24
(when asked, the manufacturer does not deny this - just silence), so for
high Rez, this may not be your dac.
According to Metrum, 1 in 100 will work with 24/192 files. My did and sounded great.
I was sure mine did as I downloaded a sample and it played (sounded warbled but there was sound), then I grabbed some music and it also sounded warbled and was clearly not what I downoaded so no, apparently mine does not.

I did read somewhere that they can potentially select a unit that will play 24/192 for an additional fee so that would be worth checking into if you need to play this type of file.
My Octave works well with 192khz via AudiNirvana being fed through an Audiphileo 2. It had a few bugs originally then I reinstalled the Audinirvana and upgraded it to the latest version and now it works just fine.
When I had the Octave it could do 192 but not all units could according to Cee. The new HEX model can with no inconsistency per 6Moon's.
Regards,
Like audiojedi, both of mine accept the 192 signal from my Squeezebox Touch but sounds warbled.
I have never even sat in front of a system with a Metrum Octave, so I may have no business posting here, but I do want to comment that I have had many files sound garbled with different DAC's depending on bit and conversion rate. I use PC, so I also can't speak toward MAC, but in every case, switching from Wasapi to Kernal output or vice versa. Overall I have been able to get the file to play with a clean output. Overall Kernal has worked best for me. You may want to give that a try and I hope it helps, Tim
Timlub, what the garbling means is that at 192khz the DAC has synched at the wrong speed so that the music behaves like the text below
B_ts_and _iec_s of t_he d_igi_tal _rea_m ar_ lo_t

so that no fidelity exists.

So so far it sounds like 192khz is a big gamble with the metrum octave whereas for every other DAC at the price, its basic functionality. Hope Metrum gets their act together and puts out a MkII or update that does lock 192khz in...I just can't accept the loss of what sounds so great on my current DAC. Much appreciate the comments of the current Metrum Octave owners.
Thanks for the explanation David. I guess you thought that I had no idea of what garbled was.... I've been using computer audio for 3+ Years now, been through 3 dacs and 2 usb to spdif converters. I'm sure that I know what garbling is... Try switching to Kernal output or not. I was only trying to offer a suggestion.
Mine initially was warbled, then I did something (scratching my head very slowly) and I'll be damned if I can remember what I did but it worked!
Timlub, I agree that KS is best, haven't used anything other than KS whenever possible for several years. Add to that Fidelizer in extremist mode and Jplay in xstream mode combined for best possible digital outcome on PC
I took an inventory several weeks ago... out of ~500 albums on my PC I had exactly 3 that were 192khz. So after much soul searching I decided to take the plunge and buy the Metrum. And go figure, Eagles/Hotel California at 192khz worked immediately with the Jk MKIII async USB converter. Loving the DAC for its naturalness so far, and it definitely seems to improve with each hour of break in.
Metrum has just introduced the Octave II which is 192kHz capable by default and comes with USB input - similar to the one used in HEX. They alos made it one box to match the HEX look.
When I had the Metrum it did 192k and I used an Off-Ramp to feed it. I used the volume control in Audirvana. I could not detect any difference upsampling 176.4 and 192 and with the one 192k recording I had I could not detect any effect from down-sampling to 176.4.

Thanks
Bill