Mesa Baron

Not a question, really, just looking to share something with any users of the Mesa Baron all-tube power amp (now sadly discontinued).

I just found THE preamp to match this high-gain amp, after trying for 10 years. It's the Promitheus Audio TVC (passive transformer volume control).

Over the past 12 years, I've used the Baron in 3 phases - back in 96-97, when it first came out, when I reviewed it for a publication; then in 2000-2001 when I bought and then sold one ... and finally, in 2004, which I intend to keep until Hell freezes over.

I've used McCormack's passive TLC-1 preamp (a pretty great match), Audio Research low-gain LS15 and LS16, Quicksilver Linestage and many others ... but something just clicked with the TVC.

Just in case anyone's still in the hunt to optimise their Baron's performance. Do note - all the while, I've been using the stock version. I have, however, messed around with the input driver tubes (AX7) - the onboard Russion Sovteks have the best punch, Tungsols sound cleaner and airier, and Mullards are just too syrupy for me ... :)

Appreciate any thoughts ...

cheers
bassraptor

Showing 1 response by kana813

The guy I got my Baron from had replaced the 5881s with Russian 6N3CEs. These tubes failed, blew out some resistors and ate one of my tweeters.

I fixed the amp and installed a matched set of 6L6s, but was always worried it would eat some more drivers. Hopefully, the next owner got more enjoyment out of it.

BTW- there's no need to use XLR cables, the input section is not balanced.