Merlin VSM-MM v. VSM-MX

I've searched the Merlin webpage, the Agon archives and Google for the answer to this question, but couldn't find one. So if you know of a thread, please direct me to it.

Otherwise, my question is (and forgive me for my ignorance):

Besides the premium gloss finish, what are the differences between the VSM-MX and the VSM-MM? I'm interested in hearing about both technical/engineering differences and noticeable audio differences.

Also, I've heard that the different wiring harnesses optimized for tubes or for SS (as discussed in a footnote on the Merlin price list page) is no longer an issue with the MM/MX. Is that true?

Thanks much.
coffee_nudge
There is only one type of harness installed in the new models. Because of the finish, the MM/MX sound different(as did the premium Millenium and Se's). A premium finish allows the the MX to take advantage of extra technology that complents the stiffer enclosure. If you can afford it, get the MX and you won't have to wonder any longer.
Thanks all for the helpful information.

Since I'm looking in the used market, I'm trying to gather as much information as I can from sources other than Bobby himself. I realize he has a great reputation for helping folks even if they are not buying directly from him, but out of respect for his time, I thought I'd exhaust all other avenues of getting the info before contacting him.

I will contact him to ask about the passive v. active preamp issue to see what he recommends. Thanks Spencer for that observation.

I'm leaning toward the MM right now only because of budget constraints. However, I am trying to get a feel for how much difference there is between the MM and the MX.

I am hopeful and confident that even the MM will be a significant upgrade from my current speakers (Audes Blues).

Again, thanks.
Aron
Ya gotta post some pics of your speakers. I went to the local "Benz" dealership for color choices. When a bunch of women iI work with couln't decide what color to get, I chose the standard "Champagne". I think I should've tried BMW or Lexus.