Merlin VSM-mm's a good value at $3000 used?

Hi,

Quick question. I am looking to spend about 3K used, and several people seem to be very happy with the Merlin floorstanding monitor VSM-mm. These are going used for about $3000. Would you say this is a good value at the used price? Preferred music is jazz, classical, and some modern, electronic jazz mixes (I love THE NECKS, for example). Room is about 11x18x10 (with some spillover into a larger room at the end). I would also have the option of a 14x24 room. Electronics TBD-whatever works best, as I have no issues swapping out my current gear with something more suited to the task. I guess the only thing that I am worried about is the lack of low-end: I would like to get a true full-range sound (although I don't listen to organ music, but would hate to partially lose the bass lines so prominent in jazz, which has happened with past monitors I have owned). Most of the speakers in this price range are 3 to 5 ways, so it seems hard to believe that a simple 2-way can reproduce the full-range of the larger speakers. Darn, I wish I had an audition, but there is nobody within a few hours of me here! Obviously there are lots of options for $3K used (Legacy Focus, Tyler Sig System, Audio Physic Virgo III) but it seems difficult to find a bad word about the Merlin's, with several people going through mulitple upgrades over time, as new models come out. Thanks for your help!
dawgcatching

Showing 2 responses by david_berry

I hope that I am not too late for the party. I had the VSM-M and VSM-MM in a 20x20 room with a 10’ sloped ceiling. That room had a wide opening into a 12x20 kitchen. I had the speakers firing across the room due to it being square. At the time, I was using a Joule Electra LA 100 MKIII and a Belles 150A Hot Rod amp (not really expensive equipment, especially used). With my trusty RS SPL meter and the Stereophile Test Disc #3, I was consistently getting full output to the 31.5 Hz signal. Bass was less than my previous Revel F30, Gershman RX-20, and Paradigm Studio 60 speakers in the same location with the same equipment, BUT all had big humps in the 200 Hz and less spectrum when plotted. This most definitely gave the impression that they had more energy in the bass region (because they did), but to the detriment of the rest of the frequency spectrum (i.e. other frequencies were reticent).

As a side note, I never really understood the question of “Can these speakers (whatever they may be) fill my room…?” How loudly do those people posing the question actually play their stereo? Listening to music with 85-90 dB peaks at 4 meters from this setup described above was way too loud. Most of the time, a good level for me (in my current setup – 3 meters from the speakers) is about 75 dB.
OK, I get you with the pressurize the room idea.

That "about 75 dB" referred to above in my post really is at the musical peaks. I set my RS meter at the fast setting and the option of noting the highest sound pressures. I have done this in the past to show my wife that my stereo really is not playing that loudly. I have not won with the numbers yet, but every so often I try :)

I just had a crashing thought! This is just another (but a different flavour) objective/subjective debate! I better not continue this at home as I see what can happen just on audio forums.

David