Merlin TSM comparisons

Hi,

I've been reading up lately on all kinds of monitors, and have been intrigued by Merlin's TSM. The latest iteration is the mmi, I believe.

If you've heard the TSM lately, especially in comparison to other, current monitor offerings out there, I'd love to hear your opinions. I know that there are other Merlin threads on Audiogon but I am especially interested in hearing from folks who have compared them to others, especially if you've lived with them.
rebbi

Showing 6 responses by reynolds853

I owned the Merlin TSM-SE speaker but after a side-by-side comparison preferred the Silverline Audio SR17.5. But we are talking about speakers that were at two different price points when they were being made. At the Merlin price point, I know of no finer speaker.

Other differences aside, I have come to prefer what I hear through 1st order crossovers. Silverlines have first order; the Merlin second order. And that is simply the point I wanted to contribute to this thread. I have not heard the current TSM model so my post should be taken in that context.
Rebbi: I posted my reply because you asked for alternatives to the TSM, and I gave you one. That Robbob and BobbyPaldovich feel that they are policemen for this thread is out of line. The Canton Reference 9.2 speakers are indeed viable alternatives to the TSM and just because Robbob doesn't like them doesn't mean that you shouldn't listen to them and trust your own ears, not mine, not Robbob's nor Palkovich's.

And Bobby, I do not answer to you sir. If Rebbi wants to know to which ones I have listened, then he can ask me and I will be happy to reply. But this is not your thread and you are not the policeman of all Merlin threads regardless of whether you are the manufacturer or not.
Rebbi,

This afternoon I was talking with a guy at the local shop here that has a new pair of TSM speakers. He said they take several months to break-in, but they are coming along nicely. Hopefully, yours are too?
I owned a pair of Merlin TSM speakers and changed them out of my system for a pair of Silverline SR17.5s. The SR17 Supreme speakers which replaced the 17.5 in the product line are $6,000, so that is a different league from the Merlins. At a price point closer to the Merlins I would suggest that you audition a the Canton Reference 9.2 speakers.
Bobby:
(1) In no thread have I ever questioned the veracity of another member’s advice as Robbob did with me.
(2) In no thread have I ever asked another member to qualify his advice as you did with me. I did not mention which version because in my opinion the Canton Reference 9.2 is a viable option for any TSM model. I owned the SE, but have heard the MMi and consider the Reference 9.2 a viable alternative, although in my earlier post to which you alluded I said that at its price point I know of no finer speaker than your TSM. I stand by that too.
(3) You stated that had I specified which TSM model you would not have “had” to ask me. Why did you have to ask me anything at all if not to jump in and challenge my suggestion to Rebbi? What business is it of yours what suggestion I gave him? Your claim that the motive for your question was simply your edification is contradicted by your Ford models comments. My impression of your original question was correct – that you were indeed seeking to challenge my recommendation to Rebbi and that I find objectionable as my opinions in this community are just a valid as yours.
(4) At no time did I suggest that you leave this community. From what I have read of your posts you help a lot of people and are a true asset to this community, but requiring me to qualify my suggestions as though you are the final arbiter of all things Merlin is not a status I am willing to cede to you.
(5) Perhaps the most appropriate way for us to end this nonsensical exchange is just to ignore each other.
And I hope you have a good weekend too.
Bobby,

Thanks for your follow-up, and like you I think it is good to clear the air, so thanks for following through on that. I wasn't intending to be secretive about the fact that I had once owned the SE or had heard the MMi at a friend's house. In the price neighborhood of the TSM I consider the Reference 9.2 worth adding to his audition list. I meant that as a general statement regardless of the TSM model. I will certainly take you at face value that you were not trying to lay the foundation to shoot down my recommendation as had Robbob.

To me your question was more blunt than polite. Something I have learned is that when I am asking probing questions, it helps to let others know beforehand what is my intention. That is something you may want to consider, and for my part next time if necessary I'll try harder to ask before reacting. But you are absolutely right and very astute to suppose that your (in my opinion) blunt question right on the heals of Robbob's shooting down my suggestion did make me want to push back, and that's what I did.

Again, I appreciate that you followed up on this with me and as far as I am concerned the air between us is clear.

Best,

J