merits of allocating $ to 2.o channel vs 5.1

Hi

I am a older guy who knows very little about the audio world.  Got a new Sony Bravia TV and them some Echo Dots and starting streaming music.  Decided my 1990 Pioneer reciever and JBL and polk speakers  should get an upgrade!  Actually playing Alexa on it is fine for me, but the TV is awful with it.     I started readiing a lot on forums etc, reviews etc, and it is indeed overwhelming - perhaps because there are so many choices and presumably quality items, and inherently subjective. 

I was thinking of a 2-3k budget and many reviews suggested the Elac Debut for a 5.1 system.  Then I stumbled on the Buchardt S400 reveiws,  Then I found some members here and elsehwere prefer to allocate their budge to the best front speakers and call it a day e.g. get 2 $1000 speakers rather than 5 $400 ones.  Intellectually, I like that idea.   I am curious about folks reaction to this philosophy.  While it is of course possible I would add more speakers in the future that is not my intent.     

I am also curious extending this concept to getting the best bookshelf speakers as opposed to floor standing.  Given that floor standing speakers have more components, doesn't the same principle apply - getting the best components for your dollars rather than more components.  

Being a newby I am curious also about the process of buying.  As illustrated by a recent thread, one often says they think about buying X, and what do you think and then tons of alternatives come in.  Other than audio shows, it seems the retail market has changed a lot since 20 years ago.  I live in Los Angeles and when I look for retailers, it seems Magnolia (best buy) is the major player.  I found one audio outfit in L.A and another in Orange County.  So unless I am missing something, I can listen to what those folks carry and not much else.  

As to my particulars, I stream pretty much everything. Play station vue/ Netflix and currently Apply music but open to exploring more like Tidal or others.  The system will be in a large master bedroom (about 600 sq ft) with cathedral ceiling.  Current receiver also works ceiling speakers in bathroom and shower, but I assume most new receivers have Zone 2, so that is not an issue? Had planned on about 500$ on an AV receiver, but if I go 2.0 maybe a stereo receiver will work.  It is not all clear to me how these factors work into the equation as some say certain speakers are easier to drive, or more forgiving for lesser inputs. 

thanks much in advance

zabor

Showing 1 response by jon_5912

I found a long list of LA area dealers.  Not sure how current it is but there's no shortage of choices.  If I were you I'd make sure to at least listen to the Vandersteen 2CE Sig II.  

http://www.laaudiofile.com/dealers.html