Meridian DSP 7200 - How good is this compared to..

Just curious, how good is this truly compared to a serious conventional setup?

2 channel pre power or reference integrated running something like a Sophia or any in that calibre?

Casual listens at the store did not do too much for me but hearing much on the press. Thanks
rapogee

Showing 3 responses by bo1972

I owned and sold Meridian for a long time. It is a different approach. It is difficult to compare. But yess you can get a higher level for this kind of money. Meridian is like buyinga full meal. You get everything you need. But you can get a higher level for the same money.
Meridian is a brand who does things differently. It is like expensive B&O. I played with Meridian 800 for 11 years. My colleague had a Wadia 860. The 800 was superior. The reason why they use a simple cd rom drive is because the jitter is very low. At the end it ia about the dynamics, resolution, individual focus and sound. We did a shoutout with the Meridian 808 cd player and Esoteric X-01. The meridian was better in drive, focus and also in sound. At the end it is about the quality it gives. People who like design and do not want to be audiophiles are the people who buy it most of the time. Still some products they make are still exeptional good. I would not recommand there speakers.
Many Meridian systems sounds very balanced. I really liked the control in the low freq. of the DSP8000 a few times. But these days I can go a lot further in sound cause of the knowledge I have. I can get a level in 3d image with blacks and extreme touchable instruments and voices like in real with my own set. This level I never heard by any Meridian system, not even close. But for people with less knowledge it is easier to get a balanced sound. What are the limitations of there speakers? The low units they use have not the best respons. The tweeters are also not state of the art. I talked about this a few times to people of Meridian. They are aware of it, but they do there things there way. This makes Meridian unique and different in the world of audio.