Meridian 508.24...sound compared to newer players

I've owned the 508.24 for about ten years now...having upgraded from a 508.20 to .24. I know for many years this CD player was highly regarded and my long term relationship with it is a testimony to how well I think it sounds. However, I know many advancements have been made over time but I have not really kept up with or listened to many newer high end players. While not on it's last legs, I realize that a 10 year old CD player will not be lasting forever (I already replaced the laser). So I may be looking soon at a replacement. To those of you who have owned the 508.24 or are aquainted with it's sound, I would like to know your impressions of it compared to the newer high end players in the $2000-$3500 price range. One player I am specifically interested in is the Bryston BCD-1. Anyone compared these two? Any recommendations or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks
randyhat

Showing 1 response by hitv

I owned a Wadia 850 for 10 years, before the Wadia I owned a Meridian, I don't recall the model anymore, at the time I bought because of it's analog sound. I recently replaced the Wadia with a Logitech Transporter. According to many reviews the transporter is on par with modern cd-players upto $5k. My experience so far is that it completely trounced the Wadia, soundstage is much better defined and the music itself is much more detailed, clear and extended at the bottom and the top. This experience led me to the conclusion that I will never buy digital in the +$10k range anymore, as in 3-5 years it's surpassed by mid-priced high-end.

Regards,

hitv