Meridian 500 or Squeezebox 3

I have the chance to purchase a used Meridian 500 transport but am also considering the SB3. I plan to use only digital output to the Paradisea NOS DAC. Any suggestions to help me decide? Thanks a lot.
ethifi

Showing 4 responses by ipy

As long as the SB3 is modded (add $s), it will sound sweet with the convenience factor of having your music collection at your finger tips :-)
Disclaimer: I have a Bolder's digital mod SB3 with PS MKII
Ethifi: The Bolder modded SB3 plus PS Ultimate MK II replaces a modded Rotel RCD-1070 with Superclock II, DBE digital output, Rubycon's caps, deadening damping sheets & diodes upgrades.

I have not side by side compare the SB3 to the "best of best" cdps but IMO, its right up there with them sound quality wise ie: the tweaked SB3 plus the PS. The tweaked SB3 plus PS is not cheap but it will cost much less than an equivalent high end CDP.

FYI, before I settled on the SB3 route, I auditioned flagship CDPs from Krell, Meridian & Cary.

I did mention the convenience factor is a SB3 added bonus, right:-)?
I agree with Cytocycle on the modified ps for the SB3. It's almost mandatory to make the SB3 sound great.

Nightcountry: Were you listening to a stock or modded SB3 when you did the comparison vs 500?