Memory playback worse than disk... Why?

Hi,

I'm used foobar, now jriver to connect my new toshiba portege r830 (i5,4g ram, windows 7 64-bit) to my Dac via USB

I play 24/96 flac files, stored on a buffalo nas.

To even get close to near absent jitter, I use wasapi event mode (better than ks, wasapi,...), exclusive mode for Dac, and clear the buffer before each track. I also increased the priority if the jriver process.

When I elect to playback my files from memory (file uploaded prior to playback), I get these big crackling noises upfront, and experience more jitter than by playing direct from the nas disk. Why?

Poor laptop design, windows design, settings ?

P.s. I'm amazed how complex it has been to make 24/96 work (and it's still not perfect).
mizuno

Showing 3 responses by davide256

2 thumbs up Simontju to your opinion on FLAC. When FLAC is the option and not WAV on high rez downloads I always convert to WAV after... added processing for FLAC decoding seems to add jitter/ loss of clarity in playback on my dedicated music server.
Check your buffer settings for JRiver... test with them set to minimum as they may be fighting each other. I've had the issue before with wasapi, seemed hardware buffer linked
agreed on both windows and BIOS power settings... wake from sleep state is bad for audio reproduction. Unfortunately laptops tend to be less diverse in changing BIOS options that could help since they have to focus on battery life preservation.