Melos Audio Restoration going strong...

This post is a retraction to a previous one I made out of frustration towards the fine folks at Melos Audio Restoration. I jumped to an unwarranted conclusion that was false and would like to set the record straight. I have been contacted by Will And Jerry and we have discussed our positions on this matter and they have graciously accepted my apology and I hope that all of you in the Audio community will too. Although they are a small operation and are understaffed, these 2 fine gentlemen are extremely devoted to their work and customers and take pride in seeing that every unit that enters their shop is restored back to its previously glorious working condition...perfection doesn't happen overnight and I failed to recognize this fact. Thanx to all for allowing me this opportunity to clear the air, the reputation of these devoted men and hopefully my name as well...Sincerely, Jeff
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmooncrikit
As a long time consumer of Melos equipment I am surprised and saddened by the foolish tirade of Rlf. The MAR guys are sooo dedicated to righting the wrongs of people who let others fix Melos equipment. This company has struggled for some time to help keep the Melos line in working order, upgrading to higher standards of hi-end sound, and repairing whatever does go wrong with older equipment. Like any company around today- be it Krell or Melos- products sometimes fail and need repairs. I would note that the Krell repair section has numerous equipment repair techs and at my last visit OVER 100 EMPLOYEES! My last recall about MAR is TWO people. I personally know that Will works long hours to keep up with the demand for Mods as well as repairs. My MAT 1000's were the first units to be moded to the next and latest configuration and have worked almost to perfection; when a minor issue happened, MAR immediately directed me how to fix this minor issue and I have had a flawless run of great sound. "Mile high guy" is totally correct; you cannot come close- at the original price -
anywhere else in high end to what power these tube amps will give it's owner. Great dynamics, subtle softness, huge stage- it's all there. OK, so they run a little hot and you need ac in the summer. Big deal. As for the pho volume controls- a unique product design that was years ahead of its time. I know many Melos owners that have nothing but good things to say about MAR service. Granted they can be slow to respond but they are so overworked and try so much to please everyone that I'm amazed at your claims. It sounds like you dropped the ball in dealing with them- your posts do you no good and wrongly accuse them of pretty harsh things. Things that sound highly unlike them.
Discussion threads like this (even ones that unfortunately get heated) remind me why we (and I'm pointiing the finger straight at myself) need to be better at publicly thanking merchants for going above and beyond. We're all very quick to find fault and often don't say thank you as often as we should. I have had several great experiences with fairly large companies like Conrad Johnson and Martin Logan. I have been remis in praising Melos Audio Restoration for the service they provided me. They are a small company with Customer Service and Quality workmanship at heart.

I purchased a used SHA Gold preamp several months ago and suddenly it stopped working. I contacted [MAR] Will and he kindly walked me though several self diagnostic tests via E-mail. He was open and honest regarding how very busy they were and even though the Xmas Holiday season was in full stride, he was right there with me every step of the way; trying to figure out what had gone wrong. It was determined the unit needed to be looked at "on the bench". He was honestly concerned because the unit had malfunctioned in the first place.

The day after Will received it, I got a note .. "It's fixed"!!! He had worked OVER THE WEEKEND to make sure I had it back ASAP.

Thank you [Melos] very much for making my Holiday brighter by your heart felt determination to make a customer happy.

THANK YOU
Hey the MAR boys are right on.They did a great job on my Sha Gold Ref when I had It.They just finished a total upgrade on my 402 mono blks.They sound much better & are now reliable.Will & Jerry were first class gentleman.The work took longer than I would have liked ,but the end result was well worth it.So if you have any problems getting ahold of them write me.I have their #`s & have only good things to say about them.With out them we Melos lovers would be SOL so give thm the respect they deserve.That`s my humble opinion.
Luke Massey alais [email protected]
I would like to second, and amplify, the enthusiastic and grateful acknowledgements of the Melos Audio Restoration folks' efforts. I can say unequivocally that in 20+ years in this hobby, and my fair share of experience with restoration/modification places, I HAVE NEVER HAD A MORE SATISFYING AND PRODUCTIVE AND EFFICIENT EXPERIENCE than with MAR. Sorry to shout, but Jerry and Will's work merits it. From communication, to pricing, to quality of service, to post-service consultation, to accommodation of my needs and preferences, they were the models of integrity, professionalism, expertise, and sensitivity. I would gladly refer anyone to them in a minute, and I can think of rather few other places I can say that about.

Bravo, bravo, bravo, MAR! All the best to people who deserve it.
It's heartening to see the wealth of outpourings in the affirmation of QUALITY vs. COSMETICS.

Melos had always been that for me. I bought a GK-1 preamp in 1979! I still believe the genius of Porzilli's work (by the way, is he still in the business?) was SO ahead of it's time, that the very existence of a "Restoration" company, keeping this gear updated & alive is a near, public service.

By the way, on a purely tangential note, WHO is this "Jeff" that keeps insulting me with corny, 'Seinfeld-esque', 'nit-witisizims' anyway? He even cursed at me on this forum!

He keeps telling me "Your KIND is not welcome here" & "Your not appreciated here". Does he OWN Audiogon or something? Am I missing the point? He is. I was AT Melos, not just "in Las Vegas". I guess that went right by him?

Nonetheless, I can't seem to write without being attacked by this guy which I suppose is the downside of Free Speech but I don't think I should tolerate being CURSED at.

Advice please, should I report this moron?

Anyway, back to what this is about. I bought the SHA-1 in 1992 after hearing it better an LS-1 by leagues. At 1/4 the price! Will at Melos told me that the LS-1 & onward were largely solid state insofar as gain is concerned. The SHA was all tubed but in addition, "it utilized the tubes filaments in the signal path, augmenting the performance of the tube itself" (Did I quote that correctly?).

Some can pay for cosmetics, I, & apparently most of you buy sonics. Refreshing to say the least.

GREAT forum. So glad to have been alerted to it. High End (& Melos) LIVES!