Melos Audio MAT 1000 or Audio Research VT 200?

Can't find any thread discussions on the Melos MAT 1000. Here's hoping someone owns or has owned them and can tell their opinion. The prices are the same for either amp, $3500 used.
Starting the tube thing. Want to start with something that won't make me want to trade it in anytime soon. Need to biamp, thinking about tubes for high end, solid state on low end. Picked up a set of Infinity Rs1's on ebay.
No preamp yet. Have heard nice things about Audible Illusions Modulus 3A (No Remote). Getting lazier and want something with a remote. (Now using 2 Marantz 2500's, preamp out, one amp top, one amp bottom.)
Recommendations or warnings?
Thanks for your time!
fbi

Showing 1 response by ttl2000

Melos had a history with quality and reliability problems just like Pls1 had indicated. However, when they work properly they sound very very good to my ears. I actually prefer their sound over Audio Research VT100mk2 which I used to own. Be very careful when buying Melos used. I like mine (402 Gold monoblocks) very much but everytime I turn them on, I always have this feeling that something is about to blow up. If you like tube sound and do not want to mess around with them, buy Audio Research. Audio Research makes very good and reliable equipment.