Mcormack DNA.5 vs B&K reference 4420

With all the reading and advice that I have had I am interested in the McComrack amp to drive my Vandee 2CE sigs. With the price tag for one of these used at around $600, is it enough of a step up from my B&K to justify a change? Is the McCormack .5 a tube or SS unit.

Eagleman
eagleman6722
Solid state - but with that warm, involving sound. As a former five-year owner of a .5 I can honestly say it's one of the best amps I've ever heard - I know that's saying a lot, but I truly miss mine (if it could drive difficult speakers, I'd still own it - I now run a $6K Rowland amp). My guess is that it will be the best money you can spend on your system.

Enjoy, and if you get a .5, let me know what you think.

Barton
Never heard the B&K, but the McCormack amp mates wonderfully with Vandys. If you can spend a little more, wait for one with at least Rev B upgrade (or higher) by SMc Audio. One of the great solid state amps out there. I replaced my 0.5 Rev A+ with a $4K Berning tube amp.
My friend Jon uses that exact setup too. He doesn't follow the forum threads regularly, but you could ping him off the list. He is Agon member Bibasset

Marco