McIntosh Tone Controls

Confession: I like bass. Not like EDM or Rap. Like jazz and classical bass. 

Anyway, I have a McIntosh C47 with bass and treble tone controls. Does anyone know if these are pure analog or they are doing an ADDA conversion? I find a need to turn the bass up in my room about 3dB with most music and it’s pretty transparent and doesn’t seem to cause much if any side effect. 

Because of this, I was considering upgrading to a C52 to get finer control. I would love to hear other suggestions as well in case anyone has them. 

(Setup is Mytek Manhattan II as DAC and Phono stage, MC452 amp, And B&W 802 D3 speakers)
Ag insider logo xs@2xmayoradamwest
@mayoradamwest...……………………

I'm running a Mac C2500 tube pre, MC152 amp with GE Triton Reference speakers and I can shake the walls with it.  The Heartbeat on Pink Floyd DSOTM is felt in your chest.  The bass is in no way over bloated or muddy.   Are your speakers known for deep bass?   Perhaps positioning them differently will give you what you want without having to goose the bass control too high.  I very seldom have to use the tone controls, but they are nice to have.  I use the treble control occasionally to take the edge off some of my rock music which were recorded too hot..
I too have the C2300 tube preamp and normally, I listen with a flat response 0 treble and 0 bass 80 percent of the time as I usually listen to my audiophile recording vinyl or SACD but, there are some recording that are just not so good or not enough bass, only then I adjust my bass control accordingly.
I use a C50 (plus MC275-VI power amp) with unusual speakers; Gale GS401As. See my previous post on this system. With my setup the 8 band EQ is very useful, specifically approximately 6dB boost at 50 Hz. Works very well for me.