McIntosh Power Amp: MC 402 or MC 152

Looking for some thoughts about these amps; both are used, and the price is in the same neighborhood.  

kingfish06

I would say...not so fast I have had a fair amount of Mac in my day, had a 252, had the 501s in my house, plus more, currently have a c48 and the 152, also have the ma 252 int amp.

It depends on alot of variables, like what else do you have...source preamp speakers etc, if your source or preamp aren't up to the 402, could make it worse.

The old hifi hierarchy in play here. I also have and have had a fair amount of Naim gear, and they would be the 1st to tell you NOT to go to a bigger/more powerful amp unless everything before it was up to snuff, the brits call it a mullet.

Really need more info on your system.

I find it interesting how some give blanket/blind recommendations without any knowledge of the system. I sold hi end audio for many yrs and have heard more gear in my house than most...by a country mile. I can tell you expensive equipment matched incorrectly produces a sound...its called Bad !

Suppose the OP has an original Sony cd player and a not so hot preamp, parking a 402 behind that would be a complete waste of money.

All of you have given me something to think about.

My goal is to find and purchase an MC 2500 or 2600 preamp.  

Currently use a Mac 4300V Reciever, Klipsch Forte's II speakers,  Micro Seiki BL 91 Turntable, FR 64 Tonearm, Cartridge: FR-1 MK3, Phono Stage: Aragon 47K, Classe CDP-102 CD Player.  

Because I can use my Reciever as a pre-amp, I will purchase a power amp first.  I like the sound of Mac equipment because of its sound, quality, and resale value.  

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.