Mcintosh MX170 2-Channel Sound

I am slowly building a home theater system and I am curious if I would need a stereo preamp if I use the Mcintosh MX170 processor.  Speakers are Sonus Faber Amati Traditions with D’Agostino amp.  Is the sound quality for stereo good enough from the MX170 or would I also need a preamp when listening to music?

mobiusmu
Funny OP I have 2 MX110z, MX120 and a MX121. My preferred is the MX120, the only reason is the remote. The 110z will just whip the pants off in any of the 2 channel stuff. The 120 though.. a serious 2 channel stereo, it’s ALL Mac.. I’ve found a couple for under 1K.. C2500 and their C11-22 are pretty nice too.. Its just the remote thing.. BIG C20 fan here too.. Samra Touch..

2 speakers C2500
3 speakers MX120
more than 3 speakers MX121

I can take a 3.XX system, after 3 main speakers I get all mixed up.. AND I don’t watch HT UNLESS, the wife wants to hear a live recorded concert or something..

Besides I’m a tonnage guy when it comes to speakers.. BIGGER is better.. 3 speakers is 3/4 of a US ton 1500 lbs.  Add MB columns and subs, couple of tons pretty easy..

I'm trying to repurpose a pair of 12 CF 300 lb subs columns now into spring bass traps.. Maybe I'll just hang BASS sucking dingle berries inside..???

Regards
As a Mac and ARC owner ( MX119z and REF5se ) I think you will find the REF6 awesome ( yes I have heard many very modern Mac components ) but definitely listen to them both if at all possible....

the obscure “ Samra” reference is to I believe ( hello mech )
Mike Samra in Saginaw who modify gear , including my MC240 ) Mike is a quirky genius capable of wonders.

have fun, enjoy journey and the music

Jim

Thanks for the comments, and for explaining the Samra reference, I had no idea.

I currently have a 5.2, I have a sunfire amp powering Kef LS50’s for my rears at the moment.  I want to get a pair of full range, possibly SF Olympica III’s or something.  
I wish I could hear the MX170 in my set up while listening to music and compare it to a good preamp.  I am not sure how much better the MX170 will be in movies over my Yamaha but I am guessing a dedicated preamp will beat the MX170 in 2-channel enough to make me pick the preamp first.