Mcintosh MX 150 any one heard it yet?

I am interested in opinions on the MX 150. I recently listened to it and thought it sounded really nice. 12k is a lot for a prepro but i guess if it fits my needs then why no spend the bucks right? D2v and SSP 800 seem to be the closest competitors. The mac's room correction seems to the game winner, though. I wish there were a few more options in prepros that are solid analog preamps, good hdmi ssp's that have room correction. I'm not too needy in the department of video processing BTW.
docrobbi

Showing 1 response by egrady

While I'm sure this is a fine unit, it illustrates the problem a company like McIntosh has with a product like this. Things are evolving so fast that products can fall behind very quickly. Mac has historically been behind companies like Denon. Look how long it took for Mac to incorporate HDMI. The MX 150 is only HDMI 1.3 and, while I can't be sure, appears to have only one HDMI out.

If a company decides to wait and incorporate features that the market has already accepted/demanded, perhaps in a more refined product, it risks coming out with a product that lacks the next big "thing". In this case HDMI 1.4 and 3D capability. As good as the MX150 may be, $12,000 is a lot to risk when the competion is offering more features in a product at 20% of the price. Such as the Integra DHC 80.2. It it built as well or sound as good, perhaps not.

I feel that an expensive processor that doesn't have all the current features simply isn't going to sell.