McIntosh MX-130 MX130 Pro Logic only for ambience?

O Ye Men of Wisdom:

This piece is too old for me to find much on the internet, so I am asking for the benefit of your knowledge please.

I do my serious listening in stereo but back in the 1980s I did enjoy using Dynaquad for symphonic music. I have enough space now for rear channel speakers.

I have vague recollections of people saying they enjoyed playing stereo recordings in the "hall" mode on their HT system.

Will this unit provide rear channels from stereo recordings? Has anybody used this with satisfactory results?

I know this unit is old but there is a good Mac repair guy here who could fix and recap it. I am very attracted by the many convenience features.

Would I need to add a MAC 3 surround decoder to do this?

Many thanks!
hifigeezer

Showing 2 responses by sid42

Again as I recall, you may have to use another amp, or a multi-channel amp for the rear channels, as well as the front channels. I don't think the MX130 has any internal amps.
As I recall, you can indeed use rear speakers, but it will be Pro-logic surround that is extracted from 2-channel. If that's all you need, it will work fine. To add Dolby Digital, you would have to use the decoder you describe.