Mcintosh MVP871 vs Krell SACD

Has anyone compared these players on SACD/Readbook?I have heard that the Mac is just a Denon?
thanks
mclsound

Showing 3 responses by ckoffend

Based on reliability I would go with the Mac (vs. the SACD standard, which was/is unreliable and prone to failure).

For sound, I would probably also go with the Mac unless you are going way up the krell line. If you are looking current model entry level Krell players, many are being made in China.

FWIW, I love Krell and if the question pertaining to amp I would be recommending the Krell amps or even the preamps (non-KAV series).
Krell has really shot themselves in the foot with the disc players. Personally, I think they have also lost their image with the surround processors which are virtually out of date the day they are released. In my opinion, they should stick with what they are good at, Class A amps with huge power supplies and preamps. If they can't make it with these endeavors they will end up as an also ran company. Which is too bad for what was once a great company. At the price they sell their digital equipment for, you would think they would install Esoteric's drive and improve their reputation in this area.
Foster_9, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the new drives simple computer CD/DVD-Rom drives? I am not trying to start something or a rumor or anything, but that was my understanding. Not that I even think that is an aweful approach either, at least if they are CD-Rom (computer) drives they are owner replaceable which is a real benefit. Although I didn't think those drives were set-up to read the SACD layers.?.