Mcintosh MCD-12000

Any thoughts or reviews on this unit, is it worth the twelve grand price tag.

Ag insider logo xs@2xbernardwilliams

It's a McIntosh, so it is well built, well supported, and rock solid.  Those are givens, whether it is worth $12,000 to your system in terms of sound quality is something only you and your wallet can decide. 

Post removed 
Post removed 

I totally agree with the  previous posters and only you can decide value for money.  If you are Jeff Bezos and really need those meters, it’s a bargain.  If you make $20K a year and are planning on heisting an ATM to finance the purchase, then probably not.

Optical disc players were perfected decades ago. A $12K player is sonically indistinguishable from a $300 player. McIntosh's company motto might as well be "We proudly fleece the rich".

A year ago I considered a McIntosh CD/SACD transport and the MA12000. I only had 25 or so SACDs and I decided that I really didn’t need, given other options, SACD. Next, ripping bit perfect CD files to my NAS, or Aurender eliminated the need for the transport without losing any quality. I say this because playing my ripped CDs almost rivals my analog play and that is high praise.  $12000 gives you lots of options, but CD player/transport no longer makes any sense.

@fuzztone

Perhaps there are some SACDs that are not available on Qobuz, but my Aurender N20 downloads streamed files to an internal SSD and plays the SSD, just like it plays ripped CDs, only higher resolution, so no need for SACDs. I purchased my Aurender used and the Holo May DAC KTE for just a bit more than a $12K budget. I use a Shunyata Sigma AES/EBU between the streamer and DAC. I’ve not found an affordable USB that bests the Shunyata AES/EBU. I use a Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable between the wall and the streamer and Sigma 2 NR power cords to all components from a Shunyata Everest power conditioner. All components were critical. I spent more on the power components than on the streamer and DAC combined.  So, just buying the MCD12000 isn’t the only consideration.

So I take it no one has listened to it and (meaningfully hopefully) commented on that aspect of it - first.?