McIntosh MC352 or MC402?

I'm getting ready to jump on the McIntosh bandwagon. I have read wonderful reviews of the MC402 and the MC352 but can't decide which would be a better value. Does the 402 have much of a sonic improvement over the 352? I've read that the 352 is slightly less harsh in the mids and highs but this could be attributed to break in time or the lack thereof. I plan on using whichever amp I choose with a Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp. My source components are a Denon cd player and a Thorens turntable. Speakers are vintage JBL 120Ti's, but I may be upgrading to Thiel 1.6's I would really appreciate any input anyone may have.
donwass65

Showing 2 responses by brianmgrarcom

I suspect you'd be splitting hairs with these two and we in this hobby are good at making more of something than need be. That said, one thing comes to mind, does the MC352 use the newer optics for lighting or the older bulbs? This may seem trivial to some, but not having ro concern oneselves with bulbs may mean more to some than others. Contact Audio Classics, they seem well informed on both amps.

You may also want to consider the MC252. This amp is also thought well of; I believe some feel it is sonically the same as the 402 just less powerful.

Brian
Dave,

I'd look to the new integrateds from McIntosh to match the MC252, such as the MA6600 and MA7000.

Brian