McIntosh MC303 vs MC402 with 501's?

Hi there AGon,

I currently have 3 MC501's across the front for home theater and am wondering about completing the setup with either an MC402 or an MC303. I know that presents a plethora of amp org options, but I am wondering sonically what people reccomend.

I know the output specs on both and that on a per channel basis the 402 seems the route to go. But after reading on forums, and reading comments from Ron C, about the actual power vs rating of the 303 is different, I'm curious.

What I really want to know is do people think it a good combo having the 303 do center and surrounds in which case I'd have a 501 for trade or sale, or do I stick with my current belief that 501's have to be the best combo in this?
mhelming

Showing 2 responses by kaiyen

Mind if I quasi-hijack this thread?

I'm looking at a similar scenario. Kind of. I don't have the money to buy a 3 channel and a 2 channel, and the comments about the 5 channel amps being underpowered or something makes me a bit leery of them. Those are vague comments so far.

I can't find any 303's for sale. But I can find 402's for instance. Do I power the mains on the 402's and then...use my Yamaha DSP-A1 for the center and just wait for a 3 channel? Maybe look at a mono block? But I think a mono will be too much power for the center.

martin logans for front and center, btw.
videogon. will keep an eye out there. But your recommendation indeed is a 3 channel for up front. makes sense to me...but I can only afford so much.