McIntosh MC303 vs MC402 with 501's?

Hi there AGon,

I currently have 3 MC501's across the front for home theater and am wondering about completing the setup with either an MC402 or an MC303. I know that presents a plethora of amp org options, but I am wondering sonically what people reccomend.

I know the output specs on both and that on a per channel basis the 402 seems the route to go. But after reading on forums, and reading comments from Ron C, about the actual power vs rating of the 303 is different, I'm curious.

What I really want to know is do people think it a good combo having the 303 do center and surrounds in which case I'd have a 501 for trade or sale, or do I stick with my current belief that 501's have to be the best combo in this?
mhelming

Showing 1 response by gelaw

Intersting thread. I am considering a McIntosh MC303 or a Classe CT series amp for my EgglestonWorks home theater My current processor is a Lexicon MC12B, a Lexicon LX-7 (built by Crown) amp. Someday I will upgrade the processor to the Classe or the next Lexicon, if they ever release it.

For now, I would like to get my left/right/center speaker off the LX-7 and onto a much smoother and and warmer amp without losing too much detail and clarity. My l/r speakers are the Andra ll and the center is the Andra center. The EW speakers with the Esotar tweeters are a bit forward sounding and fairly analytical. My ears are very sensitive to high frequency sound and higher volumes in general, so now I listen at low/mid volume. 99% home theater use.

My cables and power cords are JPS Aluminata. I will be buying new speaker wire, likely Cardas Clear series Sky or Light, or the very affordable Purist Audio Genesis speaker wire. The runs are long ranging 10' to 25'. My room is dedicated and fully treated.

What amp do you think I should go with the McIntosh or the Classe keeping in mind my EW speakers and my hearing sensitivity. Thanks