McIntosh MC300 or Odyssey Stratos?

I have a chance to get a McIntosh MC300 (originally purchased 1998) for about the same price as the Odyssey Stratos. I've considered the Stratos for some time but have yet to make the plunge. I've not been able to find much info on the web about the MC300s (alot for MC352 & 402s - which are way beyond my budget). Does anyone have experience with the 300s?

I've had a chance to audition the Mac and am quite pleased with the sound. Detail without being analytical, faithful rendering of timbral quality, liquidity and musicality, very muscular sound, good sense of the space around the sound, with good bass extension which is fairly well-focused, highs are not bright or brittle, great dynamic range and soundstage - it focuses the instruments quite well, it does a very nice job of making the ensemble textures clear. So far the only complaint I have is that the attack of the instrument (I've especially noticed it with piano) can be a bit muted.

I listen almost exclusively to classical chamber, solo and vocal music. I guess I'm wondering if I can expect the same sound profile with the Odyssey and how it might compare with the Mac (if anyone has experience with both).

My other equipment is a Cary 306/200 cd, Placette remote volume control, and Epos 11 speakers (which I'm hoping to replace down the line).

Thanks for any help.
Bob
holderlin

Showing 3 responses by holderlin

Thanks for your suggestions.

Why do you say the mac isn't right with a passive pre-? I've often heard people say that the Placette is great with tubes and I thought (never having even heard a tube amp) that the McIntosh was supposed to be close to tube sound.

thanks.
Bigjoe,

No umbrage taken. My follow-up questions was just looking for a little more explanation of the sound people didn't like combining the Macs with passive pre. Your second response gives me a better idea of what you don't like.

At this point (1 week of sporadic auditioning) I really like the Mac for vocals (focused, voluptuous, good capture of the textural and timbral quality). The one instrument I'm still not convinced by is the piano (I don't get as palpable a sense of the "touch" of the fingers against the keys as I would like). I've got a feeling that percussive instruments in general might be more laid back with the Mac.

Thanks again for your help.
Arthur,

Thanks for your detailed comments on the Mac. I'm still in the process of deciding. As usual the process is steadily moving my initial target price into the rear view mirror. Someone who knows the Placette recently recommended Edge amps.

Thanks again to all,
bob