Mcintosh mc275 or rogue m150/180

I love my current Dennis Had aes six pacs. I just retubed them today with Mullard reissue el34s. But I didn't buy a set of andra speakers I had my eye on because I was worried the amps weren't quite enough juice. As I ponder future improvements I am curious as to thoughts on improving sound and output. My six pacs are my first foray into tube monoblocks and I am hooked. I honestly can't see how they could sound better, but I have made that statement before and been proven wrong.
Brad
2out2sea

Showing 8 responses by 2out2sea

Just curious regarding the sound differences and if there were other recommendations to get 150w+ tube that is around 8-9 k
Bojack...very good point. I have no intention of getting rid of the six pacs. I do however realize their limitations. As my current reference amp they precluded my purchase of a pristine pair of egglestonworks andra ii speakers. They are also a bare recommended minimum for the janszen speakers that I am about to audition. I am leaning towards a set of of mc275 running bridged mono. I was just curious about the bigger rogue amps. Certainly a used set of rogues are more powerful and less costly than the mcintosh. I had even considered Dodd, etc, but I digress.
Thanks to all for the recommendations. On a couple of points. 1. I have a new Emotive Audio Sira all tube preamp that will never leave my system. Fred built it for me and it's probably the only bespoke piece of audio gear that I will ever own. It sounds significantly smoother, bigger and more defined than my Audible Illusions that it replaced. 2. I am curious if anyone can give comparisons between the aforementioned components? I have heard the mc275 as a single powering a set of Wilson Sofias. It was nice, but I am not a huge Wilson fan. It was hard to determine the sq and signature of the Mcintosh b/c of the flavor of the Wilsons. I have never had a chance to hear any Rogue gear. 3. I had considered the Zeus seriously, but is the sq better than the 180's? 200lbs+ for an amplifier sounds great until I am having the hernia repaired!

Lastly, I had forgotten about Quicksilver. I also wondered about an ARC VS115. I am open to all choices. When I make a purchase I want to make sure that the amp/s can handle harder to drive moderate sensitivity speakers. My current Gallo Ref3.5 sound great with the SixPacs, but I wonder what doubling the power would do. David Janszen expressed some concern that I would be underpowered for the ZA2.1 electrostatics which are being delivered tomorrow.

Fwiw my current room is relatively small at 13x15, but it may not be the final room where the system resides. I also lean more towards warmer sounding gear. The hyper detailed Krell, etc is not my cup of tea. The flavor of a slightly warm tint is what brought the Mcintosh into the fray. I only fear that I seem to recall a lot of negative feedback being run in the MC275. My experience with the SixPacs is that I run zero negative feedback. The 10db negative feedback switch on the SixPacs kills the soundstage and imaging. No thanks.
my janszen speakers arrived today and by what I am hearing this all may be a moot point. holy smokes these things are holographic. 94db spikes and I didn't even realize it was loud. we'll see how this continues to flesh out. thanks again for the ideas. I will review more on the quicksilvers. I would still appreciate anyones direct comparisons b/w some of the amps that were recommended.
brad
Oops. Spoke too soon. Ran out of gas with my 60w. The sound is glorious though, just won't reach 100db. Close though 98.9. Btw no I don't listen at those volumes, but I do listen at 90. At 90 there are peaks at the top of what the Sixpacs can do.
I am reading that rogues are hard on tubes. At their used price I might be willing to try them, but not if I will be retubing frequently.
Thank you Raymonda. If I may, have you experienced any difficulties with tube life? I would be interested in trying the 120 just because of the price point. They are certainly easier to swallow used than shoveling out for a pair of mc275. I think that 120w vs my current 60 May be enough. The m120s are cheap enough to experiment with if the output tubes have any kind of life whatsoever.
Thank you all for your responses. I have stumbled upon a couple of other options that I would love to get opinions in light of the other options.

First is Conrad Johnson. It's either the premier eight or premier twelve that will meet my power needs. My only concern is that from the reviews it may be just a little too sweet.

The second is the cary slm200. I anticipate I will lose some of my triode smoothness by going ultralinear. But my thought is that since it is a Dennis Had design it may be a similar flavor. It's hard to find much info on them. That's never a good thing.

Merry Christmas all and thanks again.
Brad