McIntosh MC240 w/ Emotiva XP3 - Recommended

I want to upgrade my HT setup. Currently I've Kenwood VR4090 receiver, Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II speakers (Front & Center), JBL S312 (Rear), Oppo 93, & Nakamichi RX-505 Tape Deck.

I started with a budget of $2k for the Amps but I guess, I might have to stretch it a bit for the love of Tube Mc based on several reviews here.

I'm thinking of using Oppo 93 Analog feed to existing Kenwood receiver (config as Pre/pro) & connect to
- Mc Tube Amp for Stereo (say MC240/ MC275)
- Emotiva XP-3 for the remaining 3 channels

However, I'm not sure how will that work since the tube amps are rated as 40W & 75W respectively whereas, XP3 is rated at 200W into 8 ohms.
- Will the surrounds & center overpower the fronts during movies?
hitsofmisses

Showing 1 response by bondmanp

I also have an "asymetrical" configuration in my combo 2-channel/HT system (in which I also have an Oppo 93, BTW). It has never been an issue, provided the channel balances are properly set. Even when listening to MCH SACDs, I have not been bothered by any inconsistancies in the sound from the various channels. That said, I do have a 3-channel amp for the front three speakers, and all but the back surround channel speakers are matched, sonically, from the same manufacturer. Also, all the amps (the 3-channel amp and the rear channel amps - inside my AVR) are all SS. I do have a McIntosh tube preamp, however, so I understand your desire for the Mc tube sound. My complete system is listed in the virtual system section.