McIntosh MC225 questions

These amps are my favorite. I have two in monobloc mode. A C-41 is the pre, Tannoy DC3 speakers, and Ridge Street audio cabling. Sources: a VPI TT, & a MacMini to Ultra Fi USB DAC (a very satisfying combination especially with ripped CDs into AIFF).

I have some questions for experienced users:

Tubes:

Other than the 7591 power tubes (I'm using matched EHs right now), from your audio point of view which/what other of the amplifier tubes reveal a significant difference when tube-rolled: the two phase inverter tubes: the 12au7's?; the one voltage amplifer tube: the 12AX7?; the two drive amplifer tubes: the 12BH7s? I have NOS RCA blackplates in there mostly (as I recall).

If in your experience some or all made a difference, what in your experience in your system was that difference and what tubes did you settle on?

I've changed the fuses (HiFi Tuning), ok but nothing to get excited about; changed the power cables (cryoparts IEC adapters) to IEC Kubala-Sosna Fasicinations (significant difference in clarity and dynamics over-all); and updated (Terry DeWick) the caps, etc. as per his recommendations.

Generally, this system is the soul-satisfying system!

Thanks for your points of view,

:) listening,

Ed

istanbulu

Showing 2 responses by magnumpi205

Use a Ram Lab matched set of Tungsrams. Also like the Teles but they tend to be a little darker. Use Amperex 12ax7s in my other amps but have yet to try them in this circuit.
Using a nice quad of RCA 7591s makes a big difference. Tried the EHs but was a little disappointed, lost a lot of the sweetness.
Heard all of the NOS 7591s were made by RCA?
Made the cap change alas no change in sound. The RCAs(Westinghouse) went back into action and still remain.