Mcintosh MC 252 vs. 402

Does anyone have an opinion on the sonic differences between these two amps, other than 150 watts of additional power? My speakers are Spendor S8es, which I'm currently driving pretty well with 130 watts, so I don't think the difference between 250 and 400 watts will be problematic, so it just comes down to sound. Is the MC 402 just more of a good thing or is there actually some discernable qualitative issue?

Thanks!
grimace

Showing 1 response by tsciame

Neither,

I should start by saying I’ve been a long time Mac fan, but...

I owned the MC352 and the MC402 at the same time and had the opportunity to A/B them side by side. Easily the 402 was the winner, with the 352 sounding very congested in comparison. In addition, while I really enjoyed the speed and accuracy of the 402, I sold it several months back due to the economy. (Needless to say I sold off the 352 first.)

I replaced my trusty MC402 with a tube amp from VTL. The ST150; an unused dealer demo that cost me half the price of what I sold the 402 for... go figure.

I can’t say enough good things about the VTL. It drives my Dynaudio Special 25’s just as well as the mac did and perhaps even better. Additionally the 6550 tubes opened up the midrange like never before, without sacrificing the low bass control.

You may want to consider other options as the MC402 is a bit pricey for what you get. That being said the 402 is a very respectable amp.

Good Luck.
Tony