Mcintosh mc 252 or Odyssey Stratos Monos Extreme?

Greetings,
A little help from you guys. I want to upgrade my current system and I think my pre-power set is the weakest part of it: Audio Aero Prima (2005), pre Odyssey Tempest Extreme, power Odyssey Stratos Stereo (w/ cap upgrade), Anthony Gallo´s N.R. 3.1, VdHul Inspiration (speakers), Supra Sword (CD to pre), Fusion Audio Predator (Prima), PS Audio Perfect Wave AC10 to my brasilian conditioner (AC Organizer LC 311). I listen to jazz, classic, rock, lounge, (sometimes LOUD...), and I love a detailed and controled bass (what is lacking IMO in my room). I´m satisfied w/ the current warmth, detail, soundstage and musicality of my system (the Gallos creates a fantastic soundstage IMO). I know that there are systems 10 times better than mine and I´ve heard some of them, but unfortunately they will exist only in my dreams, as I cannot afford them... My concern now, is to have better dynamics and better bass. I have an acoustcally isolated room that measures 4.9 x 4 x 2.6 meters, and the system is set along the larger wall (and, yes, I´ve already moved the speakers a LOT to get the best bass possible).
I would LOVE to have a Mcintosh gear in my system, but the cost-effective ratio is crucial to me (remember my low budget...). I mean, if the diferences are subtle between both amps, I´ll stay w/ the Odysseys´monos since they are cheaper, but if you guys tell me the Mcintosh is in another level (as I suspect), I can make the effort to have it. One concern is the supposed "lack of bass" of the MC 252 that would be "lean" according to some reviews I´ve read about it. (Would he Odyssey´s Monos Extremes be better in this regard?). Another doubt is if the Tempest would be an acceptable match to MC252 or if I must buy another pre (in that case, it must be a Mcintosh?) to get a decent sound out of it.
Anyway, I´m planning a to make a trip to the USA and bring the new toy personally to Rio de Janeiro - Brazil were I live.
What do you guys think about it? Any tip or suggestion will be highly apreciated.
Thanks in advance, and forgive me for the HUGE post.
Rogerio
rogertmac

Showing 2 responses by missioncoonery

IMO and this is coming from a Mac owner, If you cant afford the 402 either wait until you can or look at the Pass X150.5.More power,better bass control,musical,plus the customer service is better.Never liked the 252!
Why dont you buy used off this site..$3500-4000 low hours/minty..Cant imagine shipping would be more than 500.Blows away the 252 in all areas and im guessing in a short time youll be shopping for another amp if you go the 252 route!