McIntosh MC-2300 amplifier or... ?

Hello,

I tried searching on the web for info on this, but apart from some specifications I didn't find much in the way of listening experiences.

Please be gentle.

I'm looking to "upgrade" more for the sake of trying new things than a necessity. I currently have an Integra DTR 6.5 (2005? 2006?) that does a decent job for my home theatre and when run in Pure Audio mode (switches off all video processing) does a decent job for stereo music.

I have often heard that having a dedicated amp, especially for stereo really opens up the soundstage and in general you get better clarity of music etc. I would use the pre-out on the Integra for the Left and Right channels to connect to the stereo amp whatever one I end up with.

My budget is no more than $1000. Used or new.

That said, there's someone local selling a McIntosh MC-2300 for around $1000. I know they were made between 1970 and 1980. Would this be a good way to dip my feet into a stereo amplifier? Would this be a downgrade from the Integra considering the age?

Would it by wiser for me to spend the grand instead on a new amp by Emotiva or Outlaw or something similar?

Any input is welcome. If you think it is silly to go with MC-2300, I would like you to tell me so I don't waste $1000.
maritan

Showing 1 response by apachef1

1000.00 is a good price if the amp is in an 8 condition. Ask when it was last serviced and who did the work. All the big Mc amps from that era are in need of a re-cap/service work