Mcintosh mc 225 vs Marantz model 2's

Hi my first post here. I know the Marantz 2's are a incredible amp.I have a Mcintosh mc 225 on the way. Many Audiophiles like it better than the Marantz 8B. i am going to switch the 12au7 tubes too 6cg7 and use Sylvania 5751 gold brand gold pin tubes in place of the 12ax7 tubes.. The 5751's are a amazing sub for the 12ax7. Blows every 12ax7 away i ever heard. With these mods could it sound as good as the Marantz model 2's. I know hands down it will out class the 8b.
retrotodd
I MUST SAY AFTER LISTENING TO THE 8B I AM VERY IMPRESSED. THE 225 IS A LITTLE WELL ALOT MORE HOLOGRAPHIC AND THE TIMBRE IS SLIGHTLY BETTER. ALSO THE INSRUMENTS ARE MUCH MORE OUT FRONT AS ARE THE VOLCALS. BOTH ARE ARE 5 STARS. WITH OUT A DOUBT THEY ARE BOTH GREAT AMPLIFIERS
I've compared the 225 too a Marantz 8b. many audiophiles state the Marantz model 9's are close to the model 2's. And many will say that the 8b sounds better than the 9's.The 225 with these mods is a far better sounding amp than the 8b in my opinion. Better is every aspect.
Did not care for the Electro Harmonics Timbre wasnot very good at all IMO. Good Vocals though.Lows were also pretty decent. Sold them after 1 week.I would never use them after listening to the westinghouse.twice the sound!!!!
No, I have not modded for 6cg7 but I have rolled 5751s and others and yes I use Westinghouse 7591s- the electroharmonix are actually excellent as well. I have done the 6cg7 mod to other vintage amps and it is worthwhile most times.

I take it you've never heard the the Model 2?

Until then, have fun with the Mc225, your opinion will be different( and not a guess) when you do experience the Marantz-despite the mods to the Mac.
But have you switched the 12au7 to 6cg7 & used sylvania Gold brand Gold pin 5751? This puts this amplifier in a hole different level It will be 25% better.Which is huge!!! Let me know. I would like to here your thoughts on that. I will have mine complete next week. And westinghouse is a must 7591.My guess it will be close to the model 9's. But just a little less than the 2's. Cheers.
The 225 is the best Mcintosh vintage tube amp I have experienced. If you can live with 25 watts/ channel.

It is no Marantz 2 though. I have both.

Have fun.
Thanks for your responce Al. I have been listening to my 225 for about two weeks now. It is freakin amazing. I have only switched the 12ax7 to sylvania gold brand gold pin so far and it sounds fantastic. I will chime in and let you no how the rca 6cg7's sound. Should be a week or so. All i can say is the 225 blows away my mc 30's and 240. Yes the 225 is that good. on a different level than the two.
RetroTodd, welcome to Audiogon!

I haven't ever heard an MC-225 or an 8B. But I know that the 7591 power tube used in the MC-225 is a fine tube, and I'd imagine that it will prove to be quite a nice sounding amp, especially with the substitutions you'll be making.

I did own a pair of Marantz 2's, however, about 20 years ago. As you indicated it is an incredible amp. Around the same time I also owned a pair of the legendary (and these days ultra expensive) Marantz 9's, and the 2's easily outclassed them, especially in triode mode (when paired with speakers that were suitably matched to the relatively limited power capability of the 2's, of course). Although the condition of the particular amps could certainly have been a factor in that difference.

Here is a direct quote about the Marantz 2's from the system description thread of one of our most knowledgeable members, Kirkus:
The best of the vintage amps. Really. ...Sound is clean and detailed, not bright but not at all mushy. Incredible dynamics - better than the 500W/ch solid-state amp they replaced.
What I was most struck by with my 2’s was their richness and accuracy of timbre.

Regarding a comparison between the MC-225 and the 2's, while the following facts are certainly not conclusive of anything they seem worth reflecting upon:

According to information at roger-russell.com, the MC-225 weighs 34 pounds, and cost $198 in the 1960s.

According to literature I have, a pair of Marantz 2 monoblocks weighs a total of 94 pounds, and cost exactly twice that amount in the 1950s, and $440 in the early 1960s.

In any event, assuming it’s in good condition I’m sure you’ll enjoy the new amp.

Regards,
-- Al