Mcintosh mc 225 vs Marantz model 2's

Hi my first post here. I know the Marantz 2's are a incredible amp.I have a Mcintosh mc 225 on the way. Many Audiophiles like it better than the Marantz 8B. i am going to switch the 12au7 tubes too 6cg7 and use Sylvania 5751 gold brand gold pin tubes in place of the 12ax7 tubes.. The 5751's are a amazing sub for the 12ax7. Blows every 12ax7 away i ever heard. With these mods could it sound as good as the Marantz model 2's. I know hands down it will out class the 8b.
retrotodd

Showing 5 responses by 702retrotodd

Thanks for your responce Al. I have been listening to my 225 for about two weeks now. It is freakin amazing. I have only switched the 12ax7 to sylvania gold brand gold pin so far and it sounds fantastic. I will chime in and let you no how the rca 6cg7's sound. Should be a week or so. All i can say is the 225 blows away my mc 30's and 240. Yes the 225 is that good. on a different level than the two.
But have you switched the 12au7 to 6cg7 & used sylvania Gold brand Gold pin 5751? This puts this amplifier in a hole different level It will be 25% better.Which is huge!!! Let me know. I would like to here your thoughts on that. I will have mine complete next week. And westinghouse is a must 7591.My guess it will be close to the model 9's. But just a little less than the 2's. Cheers.
Did not care for the Electro Harmonics Timbre wasnot very good at all IMO. Good Vocals though.Lows were also pretty decent. Sold them after 1 week.I would never use them after listening to the westinghouse.twice the sound!!!!
I've compared the 225 too a Marantz 8b. many audiophiles state the Marantz model 9's are close to the model 2's. And many will say that the 8b sounds better than the 9's.The 225 with these mods is a far better sounding amp than the 8b in my opinion. Better is every aspect.
I MUST SAY AFTER LISTENING TO THE 8B I AM VERY IMPRESSED. THE 225 IS A LITTLE WELL ALOT MORE HOLOGRAPHIC AND THE TIMBRE IS SLIGHTLY BETTER. ALSO THE INSRUMENTS ARE MUCH MORE OUT FRONT AS ARE THE VOLCALS. BOTH ARE ARE 5 STARS. WITH OUT A DOUBT THEY ARE BOTH GREAT AMPLIFIERS