McIntosh MAC 1900/PSB 5T burning smell

Hi-
I recently bought a MAC 1900 from someone on ebay with 100% positive feedback (I mention that only because I have to assume the seller wasn't selling me snake oil). It was well packed but I'm sure it was turned on it's side and/or upside down a number of times. I hooked it up to a pair of PSB Image 5T's and within 10-15 min it smelled like something was burning. I felt around the surface and everything was cold (too cold). So I let it sit until it got to room temperature and tried a again. Within 5 minutes, smelled like burning again. This may be completely unrelated, but the high's began to sound a bit muddled as well. I've started an insurance claim with FedEx and depending on the outcome, I'm planning on having it repaired if I'm able to keep it..but any thought/advice on this issue?
128x128eli_tackla

Showing 6 responses by eli_tackla

@digepix Well that's 2 for a capacitor issue..so I think it's definitely time to take it in to the local vintage audio store for service. Thank you both. Any idea what this should cost roughly?
@elevick Not sure but the seller basically said it was working perfectly so I'm assuming it was in regular use...but I'll find out for sure.
@timrhu I hear ya.. I honestly don't think the seller tried to screw me so I'm trying to be patient first. Worst case scenario, I may have to send it back if service cost is too much or I don't get the insurance claim. I'll know in a few days.
@j_stereo This is very helpful. I'll buy a multimeter tonight and do that. What range of output would be acceptable?
@j_stereo Thank you again for the help. I was trying to work around bringing it in because I was excited to get it and use it..but I think I need to bite the bullet..Especially with the potential for a house fire.