McIntosh MAC 1900/PSB 5T burning smell

Hi-
I recently bought a MAC 1900 from someone on ebay with 100% positive feedback (I mention that only because I have to assume the seller wasn't selling me snake oil). It was well packed but I'm sure it was turned on it's side and/or upside down a number of times. I hooked it up to a pair of PSB Image 5T's and within 10-15 min it smelled like something was burning. I felt around the surface and everything was cold (too cold). So I let it sit until it got to room temperature and tried a again. Within 5 minutes, smelled like burning again. This may be completely unrelated, but the high's began to sound a bit muddled as well. I've started an insurance claim with FedEx and depending on the outcome, I'm planning on having it repaired if I'm able to keep it..but any thought/advice on this issue?
128x128eli_tackla

Showing 2 responses by digepix

It sounds like possibly a capacitor is letting go. They stopped making the 1900 almost 40 years ago so it’s way past time for service. If the amp had been sitting around not being used and you fired it up this can be a problem. I think the speakers are 8 ohm but if they go low at any frequency I know the amp is not happy at all. I liked McIntosh integrated amps but there inability at low impedances was a deal breaker.

I see that you're looking into an insurance claim but when you buy something as old as this amp it's as-is unless he gave you something in writing.