Mcintosh MA9000 Phono Stage

Hi guys,

I'll try to make it short. I have a Mcintosh MA9000 integrated amp, Mcintosh XR100 speakers and VPI Prime Scout w/Ortofon Black LVB cartridge. I have been pretty happy with the phono stage in my MA9000, but I am curious if I would benefit from having an external phono preamp. I could probably set a side 2K for it but I do not want to waste my money. I am also considering upgrading to VPI Signature 21. Any advice you guys can give me. I appreciate your time.

mtokad

Showing 1 response by oldhvymec

If you can find one a Herron, I or II. His last version is one the best bang for the bucks made EVER.. 2-3k Rogers PA-2 is almost 3 times the cost and still the Herron will better it.. They just don’t make it any more..

I have a ZP3 Decware it’s at 12-1500.00 and a 6 month wait. You’ll never find one used.

Puffin will make you real happy for the 4-600.00 price tag too. That is a fun phono preamp.. LOTs of features..

BTW I have 10-12 Mac pre amps here. It takes a little work BUT you can make the older Macs like the C11, 20, 22 or a MX110z a lot better.  They will match a pretty expensive phono pre amp....The newer stuff. MX120,121, C2500, are OK.. They work. The better the cart match and setup the better they sound.. Good valves in the C2500 phono section don't hurt either. Telefunken Valves always in a Mac..

Regards