Mcintosh MA6900 v Krell 400xi for S F Cremona

What do you folks recommend for driving the floor standing Sonus Faber Cremona speakers ?

I am a reletive audio-novice building a system from the ground up. I have opted for the Sonus Faber Cremonas and now have to choose a system to build around them.
Here are some of the requirements :-
1. 2 Channel , only for audio use. Home Theatre is in different room.
2.My taste in music includes:- female jazzy vocalists (eg Holly Cole,especTemptation,KD Laing etc),Rock (eg Pink Floyd,Dire Straits, Sting) and Blues.
3.System should not be super fussy about location. The room cannot be customised for the music....the architecture(contemporary,double height rooms) and the views are important. The current room is large 42'x24'+super high ceilings and balcony), so system has to be able to fill space, but also have the flexibility to work in a more reasonble space if we move.
4. Practical and Robust. Nothing esoteric. Something that can be installed easily, and will work without problems for years.
5. Exquisite for one and good in a crowd. This will be used for for listening to by myself in the evening(cocktail in hand enjoying the sunset), but also provide music for 100 at a party.
6. Clarity, great air, accurate but smooth ,musical are adjectives I read on this site that resonate with me.

My local dealer is going to demo the Krell 400xi and the Mcintosh MA6900 for me next week. What should I listen for ? What other choices would you recommend ?
I would like to keep the whole system cost(Speakers ,source,Amps,cables etc) under $15,000.

I am off to go skiing and watch the superbowl, so will return to answers on Monday. Thanks....and Go Pats.
crowninshield

Showing 3 responses by crowninshield

Thanks for your responses.

It is a huge room and architectualy I cannot mess with the surfaces or ceiling to alter the acoustics.The local dealer at first recommended Martin Logan Odesseys but they lived up to their reputation of being difficult to position and they lacked something.
I worried that the SF might lack some crispness.However I listened to the Cremonas(admitedly at the dealer)and while musical I felt they had more precise resolution than some of their SF relatives. The real test will be to see how they handle this large space.

I'm leaning towards the krell....because of all I'm hearing that the Mac/SF combination may be too laid back....compared to the Krell which should hold the Cremonas musicality in check. I'm going to demo both in situ on Tuesday. I'll let you know.

The price on the Krell is very competitive !

Results of demo :-

First of all, the cremona speakers are really good. We tried various similar priced speakers in the space (all driven by the Mcintosh) and the cremonas won out comfortably.

Mcintosh v Krell.
Mcintosh, a well balanced pleasing sound. As someone mentioned, somewhat more laid back than Krell.
Krell, more precise and crisp. For example,a noticeably positive differance with acoustic guitar.
One feature with the Krell is that it had a tendency to
emphasise (bring forward) the higher precussion notes. On one track ( Fields of Gold ), the beat was so dominant it was almost distracting.
Any other suggestions that I try....solid state....under $4000 ?
Tom, Listened to the MC252...its great. But by the time I add in the C42 pre amp...I was over budget.Trying to keep under $4500.
Jla is right, for the price the Krell sets a high standard.