Mcintosh Ma6600. Click or Pop when first powering up.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, hope I fit in.....🤐
Little back ground first, been running a wonderful 36 year old Mcintosh MA 6200 for about 4 years. 
As I'm sure most know this intergraded well. It's been a joy to live with. 
Got the itch for something newer and a little more power. Based on favourable reviews on several
sites I decided on the Ma6600. I was lucky to find a clean used unit at a dealer less then 2 hours 
from home. This unit left Mcintosh in 2011 and the Firmware is 2.52. 
I've had the unit about 2 weeks now. Just love the way it sounds, when I auditioned the 6600 the
dealer a/b the Ma5300. Found the 5300 had more detail but lacked the warmth of the 6600. 
We both agreed the 6600 was closer the the sound I'm used to with the Ma6200. 
Anyway my question is what are others hearing when they first turn their unit on. 
I hear Click or slight Pop through my speakers. I've tried turning volume right down before turning it off. 
Even turned off output to speakers, still hear it. I wasn't aware of it making this Clink when I first got the
amp but maybe it was there. Haven't bothered to call Mcintosh Tec support yet but just thought I would
see what other owners are experiencing. Thanks Guys....

128x128muddywaters61

Showing 2 responses by stereo5

I own a McIntosh MA6600 and have it powering a pair Of GE Triton Ones.  The only sound I get while turning it on is a click from the relay and then the sound ramps up from low to where the volume was last set.  I get no clicks, pops, burps or farts from the integrated.
If you decide to upgrade the firmware, make sure the dealer does it for you. I have heard many horror stories of the owner trying to upgrade the firmware and the unit ends up being bricked, totally dead.   When I bought my MA6600 from Audio Classics, they upgraded the firmware and let the integrated run in for 3 days before I picked it up. 
I also  did an A/B comparison of the MA5200 and MA6600.  The MA 5200 sounded cold and analytical where the MA6600 sounded like real music.  I was told it was because the MA6600 has the auto transformers which the MA5200-5300 lack.  You will notice all the entry level McIntosh don’t have the auto transformers. 
I also run my MA6600 for at least 8 hours a day and in the 2+ years of ownership, it has performed flawlessly.  The build quality is off the charts.