McIntosh MA6300

Hello:

An acquaintance at work is selling an MA6300 Mcintosh integreted amp for $2400. He says its in perfect confidition. I am in the process of building a higher end system - on a budget. I want to play mostly LPs and MP3s. My question: is this too much amp for me? Is the amp worth the money or could I get something that meets my needs for less money. I am willing to invest but not just because its a name... albeit those blue meters are pretty sweet to look at. Thanks for any advice you might offer.
migmcv

Showing 1 response by migmcv

Ok, good points. The current system is basically a jerry rig of an amp I bought in college in the 90s for couple hundred bucks and some small JBL bookend speakers. I am just starting the process, so I will be buying everything. Budget will be ~$4-5K. Yep, I see that McIntosh is a value brand, one guy I talked to said he's never not sold one for near or more than his purchase price.

So... basically given the overall budget, is the amp worth the price?

I currently use an iPod adapter for the music. Its sounded great 7 years ago to do that, but as I listen to other peoples systems its clear that there is better out there.

BTW this forum is fantastic, tons to learn. Thank you for your collective help.