McIntosh MA2275 - opinions

I am lusting over the MA2275 so much right now and I hope someone will talk me out of it.

Kidding aside, I now own a (current) C22/MC275 combo, and I am happy about it, except for the unconvenience associated to the room it takes.

My actual questions to owners and former owners are this: I listent mostly to vinyl (MM cartridge), and I was wondering if the phono stage in it is tube based, and if it is good? Also, does the amp sound “veiled”?

black_circles_records

Showing 4 responses by elliottbnewcombjr

I forgot,

thus, for phono playback: the bass has to be boosted back to normal, and the highs have to be cut back to normal. That is what the RIAA phono eq circuit does.

If a TT cartridge output is plugged into a line level input (without RIAA eq or signal strength boost), it will sound awful, no bass, screechy highs, and low volume, needing more pre-amp/amp signal boost, pushing either or both parts of the system up into noise/distortion range, especially tube equipment.

Believe it or not, early CD's, (early players costing $5k), some of the LP masters went directly to CD without RIAA eq, and the horror stories about CD's sounding awful resulted.
Your McIntosh C22 Preamp is totally tube. It's RIAA phono eq and phono 'low' level signal boost, up to 'high/line' level are done by tubes, then sent to any amp, in your case a tube amp with 1 set of inputs.

A moving magnet LP cartridge (most common) sends a 'low' signal out to be processed by an RIAA Phono Equalization curve (bass boosted/treble cut), somewhere, then it's signal strength boosted, somewhere, up to 'high/line' level. (original ceramic cartridges sent 'high/line' level signals straight to the amp.

Amps amplify any 'line' level signal. Amps have 1 set of inputs, integrated amps have multiple inputs which allows several line level sources to go directly to the integrated amp. They often have volume controls, some remote volume. You use one input for the preamp's selected output to go into the amp. All pre-amp output is 'high/line' level strength.

Some integrated amps have passive pass thru for preamp signals to bypass all switching and volume circuits. In this case the pre-amp's volume is used, not the integrated amps volume control.

Traditionally, the low level cartridge output is sent to a preamp phono 'low' input, and the preamp has it's own RIAA phono eq circuit and subsequent phono signal boost up to 'line' level, then off to the amp.

These days, the phono preamp (RIAA eq and signal boost) may possibly be located within a TT, The TT then sending a 'line' level strength directly to an integrated amp (amp with multiple inputs), or, into a 'line' input of a pre-amp, then on to the amp.

My TT has a switchable internal preamp, I can use its switch in 'line' position, or send cartridge signal 'phono' position. Using SS C28 preamp, I preferred the TT preamp, now using tube mx110z preamp, I prefer the mx110z's phono preamp.

Moving coil cartridges produce a very low signal strength, and require a signal boost first, up to the moving magnet signal strength, then that is sent somewhere for RIAA phono eq, then boosted again up to 'high/line' signal strength to go to an amp.

McIntosh amps have switchable signal strength inputs, one is 2.5v to match their preamps which output 2.5v.
RIAA phono eq is how LP (long playing) records were achieved.

During recording, the bass signals are cut, thus smaller/narrower grooves are needed/made by the cutter. Move narrow grooves = Long Playing.

At the same time, the highs are boosted, enlarging the grooves so the same size stylus can track the narrower bass grooves and the wider treble grooves.

It also separates the highs further from surface noise frequencies, like Dolby did later for tapes.
The Cayin A88T integrated tube amp was mentioned. I own/love one.

Interestingly, design goal was to sound like McIntosh 275. Designed in Germany, made in China, I took the bottom off, incredibly beautiful layout/construction/quality. 
review by John Potis
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cayin/a88t.html

also found this:

Cayin A-88T MK 3 Integrated Amplifier

Another gorgeous, hand-crafted tube piece from Cayin, this one designed to deliver the sound of the classic McIntosh MC-275. Like it's brothers the A-50T and A-70T, this amp includes remote control switching between ultralinear and triode operation. The craftsmanship is absolutely first-rate, featuring point-to-point wiring, and each unit is hand-numbered and signed by an inspector.

This piece was hand-built with extreme attention to detail, including point-to-point wiring. Point-to-point was the way that amps used to be wired back in the 1950s and '60s when cost was not the primary objective. Nowadays, most everything contains circuit boards instead of this point-to-point wiring, which is much more dependable and better performing. The bottom line is that point-to-point wiring sounds better.

It's one of the main reasons why these Cayin pieces sound like the classic tube gear from Marantz and McIntosh. Anymore, products that feature point-to-point wiring cost a fortune, or they feature sub-par workmanship. You simply are not going to find craftsmanship like with this Cayin gear for anywhere close to this price.

I needed 16 ohm taps, so got MK1, unfortunately bias adj is internal. MK2,3 omit 16 ohm taps but add easy external bias adj. which I would love to have. I'm about to go back/forth 6550/KT88's just for fun.

I sold my SS McIntosh 2250 amp and SS McIntosh C28 preamp to get the Cayin for remote volume/tubes/direct line level inputs, and for phono and FM via neew to me McIntosh tube tuner/preamp mx110z.